Oliver + S

News and Current Affairs

Viewing 15 posts - 1,516 through 1,530 (of 1,804 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Its a sad and stressful time for you right now Jenny and that means its all the more important to take some “me” time. Is there a way of setting up the machine to sew something small? Just to let your soul take a breath? Get the needle and thread out and handstitch something maybe?

It is just so important to take some time out. This is why we have hobbies. We just have to make it a priority in order to keep a balance. Others get to do it all the time so why can’t we? It sounds like your dh needs some hobby time also.

I pray that somewhere you find the joy in the Easter season despite the sorrow and hard times you face. And I hope you get the chance to sew again very soon.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Oh no, Cybele. What an awful time to be going through *hugs*

I am not having a good time myself. My best friend died on Tuesday. She had ovarian cancer for four years and has been fighting every step of the way.
    We found out a couple of weeks ago that she was stopping treatment, as the cancer was not responding to the chemo, and I made plans to get back to Australia ASAP. Unfortunately that is not until April 12th. I’m going to miss the funeral by 2 days 🙁
    I’m still going back, so I can see her husband and 14 year old son, and I will spend a month with my family as well.
    I’m finding it very hard to come to terms with her being gone. Because I last saw her in December, and she has gone downhill so fast, I just can’t get my head around it. I keep thinking of things I want to show her, or discuss with her.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh Jay I’m so sorry for your loss! It is so very hard to see someone you love so much slip away due to such a horrible disease as cancer. Having seen my fil go from a fit man in his late 70’s to a frail old man looking 90 in just six months was enough. I completely understand the enormity of your grief having seen it first hand myself.

I think they need to find an alternate and more effective treatment than chemotherapy to tell the truth! I think with the amount of poison that has to enter the system to kill the cancer, it contributes to death. They get so darn sick!

It is also a very hard thing to come to terms with when that someone stops chemo. My fil didn’t want chemo and wouldn’t tell us why. We only found out afterwards that he was given an amount of time from the doctor at diagnosis yet was still offered chemo as treatment.

I hope your trip home is a safe one and that it will help you in your grief to spend some time with her family. You must have been so very close – a sign of loved friendship to want to be able to do this. Lots of hugs to you.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wishing you peace in your heart, Jay. Loss of a peer is so difficult in its own way, and to lose a beloved friend is even harder.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Dear Jenny, and Jay, I shall be thinking of you both during Easter, and really hoping that the truly tough days you are enduring at present are over as quickly as possible. All my sympathy, and affection. Fiona

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

You are both brilliantly brave for talking about what is affecting you, I hope you find some respite and joy soon. I am definitely a believer in trying to find the time and space to do a little of what you love, so sorting sewing space is a must. Good luck both of you. Helena

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I’m so sorry to hear that Jay. My mother died of cancer last year and I did not make it home in time either. I felt very helpless and really devastated that I was not able to be there for her at the end. I hope your trip home and your visit to her family is able to provide some small measure of comfort. Hugs to you.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am so very sorry for your loss Jay and I think of you often Masha.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh Jay, I am sorry. If it were in my power to make it ok, I would. I am sorry I can’t.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I wanted to start a new topic for this question, however, the forums are not allowing me to do that.

As my tall skinny girl grows even taller and skinnier, buying RTW pants and leggings has become entirely impossible. The poor child loves leggings and I sew them for her. But. I have a serger and a sewing machine and I have not been able to find a method of hemming the leggings that does not result in popped stitches after a few wears. I use cuffs a lot so that I can just serge the seam and be done, but we need a little variety. For a normal turned-up hem, I’ve twin-needled, stretch-stitched and zigzagged, fiddled with the tension, tried using stay tape, and nothing holds. I have tried stretch, ballpoint, sharp and universal needles. I have a walking foot. I am at my wits’ end.

So now I’m wondering about coverstitch machines. Do they make more durable knit hems? Help me out here!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I’m still struggling to come to terms with it, but spending time in Australia will help I’m sure.

RTWG – Coverstitch machines definitely do a more durable hem, and that’s what you would get on a bought pair. I have the Janome Coverpro (currently in storage in Australia), but I have barely used it as I don’t sew all that many knits. When I did use it, I had a lot of problems with skipped stitches, particularly when going over seams. It’s a common problem, but I haven’t spent enough time trying to solve it. You shouldn’t have as much of a problem just going around the leg of leggings though.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have a coverstitch machine and love it. I’m still struggling a little to always get a super stretchy hem, but I always do a test run on the fabric scraps. I try and use a hump jumper and this decreases the skipped stitches over thick seams.
    I use it for so much more than just stretchy hems! I hem wovens, use it for perfectly parallel top stitching. I even sewed a whole Teaparty dress, using the chain stitch, one time when my sewing machine was out of action, the dress is still going strong 12 months later!
    I have a Janome 1000cpx. Also check out this thread on Patternreview, http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/forum/43

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@roundtheworldgirl I bumped up an old thread that might help.
    But, yeah, I want a coverstitch machine.
    Best wishes to everyone who’s having a crappy time.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Just a quick peep to send out hugs where they may be needed! (Jay/Masha and anyone else HUGS!!)

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

And I really want a coverstitch machine! I love my serger, but I despise sewing on my old machine with knits. So I basically avoid patterns I need to hem. Which is a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,516 through 1,530 (of 1,804 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.