Oliver + S

Neck facing issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    esydow @esydow

The back neck facing doesn’t seem to be as long as it should be, short by about 1/2″. There are also no notches where the instructions say there should be to match up with the center back. What am I missing?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hm, I checked for errata and there don’t seem to be any. Can you tell me what size you’re working on? It’s a pretty popular dress, so I”m sure somebody has made that size before and can help.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Does it sew to the back and sort of fold back on it self?

I can’t get to my instructions….. has anyone made it recently and can confirm that?

*Patterns on a high shelf, not allowed to lift*

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Without knowing the size I’m afraid I can’t measure the pattern piece. Have you folded the dress’s center back edge as instructed? Sorry, that’s the only place I can see where something might have gone amiss, short of measuring the pattern pieces.

LINK
    esydow @esydow

It’s the 12-18 month. I triple checked the instructions for folding the back edge and I’m pretty sure I followed them. The facing lines right up with the back fold. As I said, there are no notches on the inside edge of the back neck facing pattern piece, though the instructions say there should be.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have made the 12-18 month size and mine worked https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6162734014/in/set-72157627704619988

It was so long ago I don’t remember about notches, but I would have made a note on this photo if it didn’t work.

I will get my pattern out tomorrow and check what I drafted.

How frustrating for you.

LINK
    esydow @esydow

I feel like I’m just not noticing something.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have made the same size years ago with no problems, maybe you mistraced something? Are you pintucks the right size on the back?

LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

We made the 12-18 month size almost 2 years ago and ours worked http://www.francessuzanne.com/2012/09/mother-goose-would-be-proudeventually.html (well except for the dying aspect). I would have to get out the pattern and review it though to see what may might be the problem. We LOVE this pattern!

LINK
    esydow @esydow

http://homebirdstudio.blogspot.com/2014/05/stumped.html

Here’s a link to what I’m looking at and how it doesn’t seem to be working. It’s driving me crazy that I can’t figure it out!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ok, I had a peek, and I can think of 3 spots where something might have happened:

1. the pintucks: I made a mockup in paper and even in paper, I had a bit of trouble getting everything perfectly traced, transferred, and folded

2. the fold of the back edge — should be 1.5 inches total

3. tracing the back piece — the line for the 2T is close to the line for the 12-18m and the dashes look pretty similar

https://flic.kr/p/nFphoQ

As a side note, my copy is printed in blue ink! Does anybody else have that?

LINK
    esydow @esydow

So then you don’t have any notches, either?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Nope mine do doesn’t have the notches either! I have only made it once back in Jan. But looking at the diagram and how I finished that part of the dress I think your pattern piece is fine. It should extend 1/2″ over the back, but that’s over the folded up button placket you created in the very first step of the instructions. I think you may have U folded the button placket, it’s a little difficult to see on the picture. I suspect if Sarvi had take the photo from the opposite side you would see the folded placket. I hope I haven’t miss read the pictures you have posted. Keep asking as eventually we’ll wok it out 🙂

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I too would say check the button placket fold. Also if you have enough fabric, or if you have muslin, recut the facing in the correct size and one size up. See if either fits and cut that in your fabric????

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Nope, no notches on mine either. Since the facing piece should extend half an inch past the folded edge, if it would be helpful, you can mark a notch half an inch from the edge as shown in the illustration. Would you like a photo showing how to do that to help you get back on track, since the issue wasn’t with folding, tracing, marking, or stitching? You’re so close! Let us know how else we can help get you the rest of the way there. Your fabrics look so cute, it’ll be a darling dress!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.