Oliver + S

Mixed up fabric requirements

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

I thought Fabric A was B and vice-versa so just discovered that I don’t have enough Fabric A. I have one yard for size 7 (which requires 1 1/2 yards). My fabric is not directional and I can squeeze the yoke side by side across the fabric but there isn’t enough room to get the hem pieces in. I think I might be able to squeeze them in if I turned them so that they’re going along the grain instead of perpendicular to it. I know fabric behaves differently in that direction but since it’s only the hem, do you think it could work?

Alternatively since I have extra of the Fabric B, do you think it would work if I made the 2 inside pieces out of that?

Thanks!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I did this once too. I used the fabric I purchased for the outside and used a solid for the inside of the yoke and hem lining. Good luck.

Jane

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

In my modest amount of experience, horizontal vs vertical grain will not have a huge effect mechanically for something like quilting cotton. I find that the two do look different with shot cotton, for example, even though its not directional, strictly speaking.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I’ve never seen a quilt pattern specify cross grain or straight grain. The two are really quite similar. I think you can get away with it.

Also I second the idea of doing the inner yoke in whatever you have more of.

Maggie

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

April, you should be fine cutting the hem pieces along the grain, the difference between perpindicular and horozontal to the grain in minimal. I might not do it on an amazing wedding/ball dress, but I’ve done it multiple times on regular clothing and not had a problem.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Funny enough,not with silk.

I had to do that with the ties on Elsa’s Birthday Party dress and the side of the tie in which I cut against the grain has gone a bit hinky. The side that is cut with the grain is perfect.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

You could just do them hem piece with fabric b. They don’t have to be contrasting. If you choose a different piece for the inside yoke, make sure it doesn’t show through.

LINK

Thanks everyone! Exactly what I hoped for. This is just quilting cotton so sounds like turning the pieces will work.

On a related note, should there have been a way for me to tell which was Fabric A & B? I am still relatively new to sewing and am feeling kind of dumb that I couldn’t figure this out from the envelope. I figure there must be something obvious that I am just missing.

Thanks again. I love that I learn so much every time I sew one of these patterns!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hm, that’s an interesting question…. I think generally fabric a is the one used most, or most prominently … So since the yoke is a contrast piece, it is the b fabric… But in this particular garment both fabrics do see plenty of use. I can see where the confusion arose though.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

AprilShowers,

If it makes you feel any better, the O+S old patterns don’t say… fabric A is for this, fabric B is for that. The newer ones do.

How do I know this? Well, I had the same problem and suggested on the forum that maybe they could add that to the packaging.

Leisl kindly responded that she was surprised this didn’t come up earlier and they started to do that with Fall of 12 patterns. So old patterns don’t have it, but the new ones will!!! 🙂

So, April… I have swum in the same boat! 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It is hard to tell with this particular pattern. Usually, A is the fabric you need more of or the main fabric. I haven’t actually made a multi color ice cream, so it hasn’t been an issue for me.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh wait, never mind, I thought I was in a different sub-forum (Book Report).

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, sorry about that! Yes, now I include that information so you know which fabric is which. And to answer the question about warp grain (the long grain) vs. weft grain (the cross grain), the cross grain usually has a little bit of stretch to it which long grain is a bit stronger. For most circumstances it doesn’t matter too much, so you can switch as needed. This is especially helpful for stripes, border prints, etc. Consider them to be interchangeable except with fabrics like corduroy, silk dupioni, etc. I hope that helps!

LINK

Oh good, glad to hear I’m not the only one to make this mistake! And glad to hear that it will be less likely in the future – thanks Liesl!

I went ahead and cut them along the grain line and finished the dress and I think it came out great. This was SUCH a fun pattern! And, as usual, I learned a lot. I definitely plan to make more in the future. Next up will be one of the colorblock versions.

Thanks everyone for all your advice!

LINK
    sewgirl23 @sewgirl23

So I just ordered this pattern and am waiting for it to come in the mail- the fabric requirements online don’t tell you which is which! Would someone explain for View A which fabrics are A and B? I was trying to buy some fabrics so they’d be ready when my patterns came and realized I didn’t know how much to order!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.