Oliver + S

Liesl's new patterns for grown ups

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Am staring at the printer and the washer, willing them to work faster to prep my fabric and patterns! Going to breath deeply and make a muslin first.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Sarvi, what are you going to make first? This is exciting.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

How exciting Sarvi! what will you make first?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Skirt first! That’s the easiest one, right? I measured and like everybody else I’m all over the place. RTW is 8/10, natural waist is OS12/14, extended waist is OS14/16. What do you think? Make a muslin of the L?

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I’d say make the M Sarvi 🙂 – it’s a great fit on me, and we have similar measurements

I bought the tunic and the skirt, but after the blog post on the dress, think I must have that one now too 🙂

Hoping to trace the tunic this afternoon

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Great to know, thank you Justine!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

How far do you need to go with a muslin? Do I need to put in the elastic and stitch the fully assembled front+sides to the back? I’ve only pinned it to back and it’s very roomy. Not sure if I should just count on being able to take it all in with elastic or actually size down. The numbers really look to me like I should not even make a M let alone a S, so I am inclined to just go for it and cut into the good stuff.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

How far around do the front & side panels reach, Sarvi? If they just get past your sides, then stick with the M – if they wrap further around, then go down to the S. Mine was huge until I pulled it in with the elastic.

At the end of the day, this is an elastic waisted skirt – thus very forgiving in terms of sizing.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

How far? I wouldn’t make a muslin of an elastic waisted skirt unless the fabric was very dear. And probably not even then. I would check the tissue carefully for length, maybe pin the tissue together and cut a little larger if I felt on the fence. Then, baste the actual skirt together and try it on to see, you could easily take it in a little if you like.

I haven’t bought it yet, since I’m silly busy with Halloween, but I’ll be at Fabric Row on Saturday to help a friend with a costume, so I will have a look for some nice wool. There’s one place that does beautiful suiting fabric. Something with a lovely drape.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Ok, I took the plunge and bought the tunic. Hubs will print it out at work. I also bought some fabric last night that I hope will work for a heavier weight one – some of that Kaufman railroad shirting fabric in a tiny houndstooth. It is listed on Fabric.com as medium weight. In the meantime I may take a stab at it with this denim linen fabric I have lying around. I just need to figure out how to make the tunic a little more fitted up top than it is on the model – if I don’t have a good fit around the ‘girls,’ I always look frumptastic.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Frumptastic – perfect description – I love it! Think the tunic is the one that will require the most fitting.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

So, I am up to hemming my Weekender dress.

Absolutely thrilled with it, skimming, snappy and very very comfortable.

I made the 12 but sewed a slightly narrower side seam (3/8 th).

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

RTWG the expression is fabulous too! Count me in with that also. We could both be “frumpilicious” hehe! I am tempted to get one of the patterns also but I know it won’t be made without alterations because there is no way I am in the size range (or possibly will ever be again) – but then I have alter, being tall. My sister has the same issue with her “girls” – she was the blessed one of the two of us. I just got a good sized pair a hips and what seems like two pairs of thighs stuck together! Wish I could trade! Love the blouse and dress. I think if I were to try one out it would be that pattern.

So have you finished sewing the dress yet Nicole? Can’t wait to see.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Ha! That’s how my thighs are too. I look like a stuffed sausage in those blasted skinny jeans.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You know what’s funny, I used to work in the same building as a casting agency. I would hear this EXACT SAME talk from girls (and I mean girls, some were 14) whose thighs you could put through the eye of a needle.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.