Oliver + S

Great places to eat in NYC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Hey all! I’m headed to New York City next week for a quick visit and wondered if any of you had suggestions on places my husband and I can eat great food? I remember seeing a blog post a couple of years ago,I can’t even remember where, with a list of suggestions. Or was that a list of fabric stores? Either way, I plan to eat and shop my way around Manhattan.

We’re staying in Chelsea. Any suggestions are appreciated.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, so many choices! Chelsea is a great neighborhood, and you’ll find all sorts of good restaurants there. I don’t eat out nearly as much as I did pre-kid and pre-business, but I have a favorite restaurant in the west village that isn’t too far from Chelsea. It’s a contemporary German restaurant called Wallse.

http://kg-ny.com/wallse

If you get to museums on the upper east side, the Whitney Museum has a nice cafe called Untitled. (It’s a Danny Meyer restaurant–he owns all sorts of great places like the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park.)

You might have fun checking out the Chelsea Market, too. Lots of pastry shops, etc. http://chelseamarket.com/.

Have a great trip! I assume you’re making stops at Purl, Mood, B&J, M&J…

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Thanks Liesl! I so appreciate your suggestions! Anything to keep my husband from wanting to eat fast food for every meal 😉 I told him that I wasn’t going to eat as though we never left the airport 🙂

And yes, Purl, Mood and all are on the list. I’m so excited I can hardly sleep.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

No, do NOT eat fast food in this city. There are way too many good, inexpensive options here. And if you ask around, people are more than happy to suggest their favorites. You’ll have lots more fun that way, too!

LINK
    Jess @Jess

We just got back from a few days in NY and found a new fave spot in Gramercy Park called Friend Of A Farmer. Good, simple, local food.:)

Union Square Cafe is nice (a little spendy), OTTO has good pizza, Schiller’s is supposed to be a fun spot, but we didn’t make it there this time. Also, if you’re going to a show, Becco on restaurant row is yummy Italian.:)

Have fun! I <3. NY!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

My tip is to go to Brooklyn and eat at al di la!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I will come and carry your bags…..I will go and have a sandwich with Liesl.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, I could use a sandwich! I missed breakfast!

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

get a brownie at Fat Witch in the chelsea market, buy jam at sarabeths, eat at the thai place in there, have an ice cream and then buy fruit for later at the grocer. you could stay in Chelsea market all day long. When down there also walk the High-line. do it on a weekday, not a weekend. There is a covered spot to get some food on the highline too.

City Quilter on 25th has a lot to look at, and is not far from Eataly- italian themed food emporium. you can shop and eat there. the gelato is so good.

also good food trucks in nyc. the yellow Waffles/Dinges truck is really good and so is Korilla- they have korean tacos!

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

A HUGE thank you for all of your suggestions! I’m happy to report no fast food was consumed 🙂 We ate at Eataly, and loved the pizza. We loved Shake Shack. We never made it to Chelsea Market, but it is definitely a must do for the next time. We watched the Mets beat the Yankees. Spent an afternoon at MoMA. Shopped a bit along 5th Ave. And the highlight of my trip was Mood and B&J. I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I’m pretty sure I could live inside B&J and be perfectly happy. Think they’d mind if I slept on the sofa by the registers? When we walked in the doors, my husband said, “Oh wow. I’m impressed and I don’t even like fabric shopping.” I bought some wool coating for Miss A’s winter coat. It was a bit strange to buy wool on a 97 degree (and horribly humid) day, but there just isn’t that sort of selection of great fabrics anywhere near where I live. Thanks again for all the great suggestions! We had a really wonderful time!

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

I am heading to NYC next week and taking a look at these suggestions is really helpful! I have been to NYC at least 4 times and have some fav places but will try and check out some of your suggestions they wound super yummy. Now I just have to figure out what else to do while i am there! Any suggestions? I usually go to MoMa, the Met/Cloisters, Purl, City Quilter, and catch Broadway shows with my Dad.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

The best pizza in NYC (and that can start an argument) is at Patsy’s on University Place and 10th street. They have great salads too.

I love the Strand Bookstore at Broadway and 12th St. They say they have 18 miles of books –all discounted.

Have fun!

Maggie

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, now you’ve opened a big can of worms! Here’s a list for you:

Guggenheim Picasso exhibit

Cafe Sabarsky for lunch (in the Neue Gallery–also great but no kids allowed in the galleries themselves)

Metropolitan Museum for anything at all (I adore the Rembrandts and there’s never anyone up there)

ABC Carpets (the department store on the east side of Broadway–incredible)

Fishes Eddy (across the street from ABC Carpets–I think they have Lotta Jansdotter’s new dishes in?)

NY Public Library to see the reading rooms

Kinokunia for Japanese craft books (behind the library)

Tinsel Trading for vintage trims and ribbons

garment center for fabric shopping (don’t miss B & J)

Purl Soho just because it’s awesome

Oh, and sorry Maggie–best pizza is at Gnoccho on the north side of Tompkins Square Park. You can also sit in the back garden for a quiet and beautiful meal there. But I agree that the Strand is awesome and very worth a stop!

There. I just filled your weekend and spent everything in your wallet. You’re welcome! 😉

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

Maggie and Liesl thanks for all the new suggestions. I am going to be in NYC for about a week and I can’t wait! The strand is a place i have always wanted to go but have never made it to so that is on the list! and I have never been to the Guggenheim, maybe this time! I have definitely spent WAY too much money at Kinokunia before (like wow), and I will go and check out the reading rooms in the library. Some of the other stores you mentioned seem really cool and I will have to map them out before i go! I am on a budget so we will see how many museums i can get into before i can’t buy any more food (I have run out of money before and gone home on an empty stomach but oh well!). Oh and i forgot that i MUST go to the Folk Art Museum, I love it there, very homey. 🙂 Off to make my list!

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

Bah! stupid storm! My Dad and I have cancelled our trip. Even the hotel gave us a refund and said that last time when Irene came they evacuated for 2 days so they are getting a lot of cancellations. Bummer! Thanks for all of your suggestions and i will so check out all that stuff NEXT time I get to NYC.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.