Oliver + S

Fairy Tale in velvet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • LINK
    mcurban @mcurban

I thought this would make a lovely Christmas dress and I was able to snag some velvet 1/2 off. I haven’t purchased this pattern, yet. Anyone think there would be issue w/ using velvet? I’m sewing for a 7m old.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I want to say it will be lovely in velvet and I don’t think there’s an issue with the pattern. However, velvet is petty tricky to work with. Have you used it before?

LINK
    mcurban @mcurban

I haven’t, but I’m ready to bite the bullet. It’s also why I’m starting over a month early 🙂 I figure, if it doesn’t work I’ll have time to scrap it and start again with a different fabric. I’m definitely up for suggestions!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I say go for it! Just remember to press the fabric on the wrong side on a low heat, and please post pictures of the dress when you finish~

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Basting will be your friend.

If it is the thick lush velvet it can be very very slippery to sew.

LINK
    mcurban @mcurban

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I had heard to use 2x as many pins as one would think. Basting is a great idea.

I’ll be sure to report back 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It will look amazing!

I made some bloomers for my son (when he was a baby) I hand basted all the seams first. I loved them so, so soft and luxurious.

Good luck.

~Nicole~

LINK
    PreemieMomma @PreemieMomma

What would you do for the view B sash if I were to do this dress in velvet? I haven’t sewed with velvet before but I have some on hand that I could give it a try with rather than buying new fabric (I’m on a budget and need a dress for my 4yr olds holiday dance recital next month) I have gold velvet – I also have some beautiful green velvet but haven’t checked to see if I have enough yardage.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I suggest that you do not trim seams. Velvet can shred easily. You might even try finishing seams as soon as you cut them, whether it’s serge, overlock or zig zag to help keep the fabric from raveling. Any tricky parts could be hand basted to help keep them in place. Use a walking foot, or reduce the pressure foot pressure.

LINK
    mcurban @mcurban

Thanks, Meleliza. I’m cutting today and will overlock as the first step. Good idea!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I hope you just take these ideas as suggestions! Velvet may not be the first fabric I recommend to beginners, but if you’re determined to make it work, you probably can. If you feel that baby’s first Christmas dress should be velvet, then just forget about any “rules” and go for it! I’m a perfectionist, so I always err on the side of not wanting someone to have a meltdown if it doesn’t work out. But other people just go for it and enjoy the process without worring too much about it. Still, I was working with cotton velvet today and it’s such a mess! I used my sewing machine’s overlock stitch on all the edges, even though they will be covered by a lining.

LINK
    mcurban @mcurban

This little gal is my third. So, she’s definitely suffering from 3rd child syndrome in that we have so much going on in our family, she just tags along for the ride! I do want a lovely little dress for her, but no tears will be shed if the velvet doesn’t work. I definitely don’t have my heart set on it, I just figured this would be as good a time as any to try.

We live in Texas, but celebrate the holidays on the East Coast. I would rarely have an occasion to use velvet otherwise.

LINK
    papaececi @papaececi

I am attempting this dress in velvet too. (I am making the collar and trim in satin). I wish I had seen this thread sooner! I’m actually using velveteen, so it isn’t as plush but I have encountered some shiftiness! I have had more success since switching to the walking foot. Also, my invisible zipper is popping open at the waistline from all of the bulk. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I might just move my seam up and end the zipper there since my daughter can fit in the dress without the extra length of the zipper.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have seen that happen on little girls formal dresses. Maybe Melanie may have an idea, she is our couture queen.

Would a tiny hook and eye work? Just to hold it closed? Often vintage dresses will have that at the top of the zipper.

LINK
    papaececi @papaececi

Unfortunately I think the zipper is just done. It is actually splitting below the zipper pull. I’m going to have to rip it out but I’m not sure whether or not I should replace it with another invisible zipper or go with something else for a closure. I am hoping not to have to fiddle too much with the back of the dress and the seam allowance at this late stage…maybe a series of hook and eyes? Any clever ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.