Oliver + S

Extending blouse into dress

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I’m planning to extend the blouse into more of an a-line tunic/dress to wear over leggings. Any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated. I think if I simply extend it at the bottom it will be too wide. Does this mean I have to slice it either across or downwards and lengthen and make narrower? Or am I over complicating it and I could just add to the bottom?

In reality I’m not going to make a muslin, but I don’t want to mess it up as I will be using some of the new Alice in Wonderland lawn…

Thank you in advance peeps!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thinking of the shape, I would extend from the bottom, following the A-line but I would definitely make a trial run before cutting the Liberty.
    You could use it as a nightie.

I would add a fair bit of length, a few inches not just a few cm’s.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole. Reason: spelling baby baby
    LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

You’re no fun with the sensible-muslin-talk-that-I-know-is-right-but-don’t-want-to-do-but-will-now 😉

On a serious note thank you, I’ll extend and see what it looks like. I was aiming for something like 6 inches, based on the blouse she already has and measuring down to her knees-ish.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

🙂 That would be a trial run, not a trail run, dear oh dear…

If it was any other fabric, I would say, ‘Go for it’. I know your time is super precious, but so is Liberty. 😉

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

It’s worth trying it first with a less precious fabric (I know, I’m no fun either!). I’ve made the shirt into a tunic a couple of times by adding a 3-4″ peplum at the bottom. While I liked the A-line, loose-fitting look, it is a flared style, and if you just extended the side seam lines down a further 6 inches, it would end up very wide.

Whatever you do, I think it will look adorable and am looking forward to seeing pictures!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Can you copy the length and line below the armpits from another pattern? Unless you’re using a tiny size then the Family Reunion could help.

LINK
    jax @capnjax

There was blog post about this:

customizing the layette: sleeveless bodysuit tutorial

Hope that helps.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think you would want to slash and spread the pattern in the center as well as adding to the sides to give you a nicer a shape. I don’t think a muslin is necessary, but I also wouldn’t use my favorite fabric the first time.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Have you checked out this post? http://oliverands.com/community/blog/2014/02/customizing-the-raglan-the-a-line-t-shirt.html
    It shows how and why to change a straight top into a A line top/dress.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Thank you all, you are like the good sewing angels sitting by my right ear telling me to be patient and test things rather than jumping straight in and ruining my special fabric!

I am going to play around with the pattern and try both using the family reunion dress and also a version playing with the existing pattern to see what happens… I hope to be after opinions on the outcome shortly!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.