Oliver + S

Bear Carrier

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    marjorie @marjorie

So, I’ve got the Bear Carrier done except for the buttons and velcro. Is there a reason to do buttons for getting the animal in the carrier and velcro to fasten it around the child’s back? I have two buttons, but already want two more to allow for multiple size animals and dolls, but am also thinking that buttons would be more secure than velcro for the other tabs and might get more for that.

It is super-cute and was so easy to sew. I used gingham for the outside and lining, a scrap of floral quilting cotton for the pocket, and a heavier weight for the straps. No need to pull out the walking foot for my machine. I think I started around 7:45, cutting pattern pieces, and was done with everything but buttons and buttonholes and velcro by 10:15. I need access to the child and the favorite stuffed moose before determining final placement, but this was a great, easy, quick pattern that I think will be much loved!

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

Marjorie, I haven’t made this yet so I don’t have any advice for you. I just wanted to say that your line “I need access to the child” made me literally LOL. 🙂 -Camille

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I have to second Camille’s reply. Also, love that you were able to finish it in one evening sewing session. -mel

LINK
    marjorie @marjorie

She was in bed! With the stuffed moose!

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

buttons would be more secure, which means that velcro is probably safer for your child should she become caught up in something.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Quick question — has anybody made this reversible? Or has anybody who made it got advice on how to reversibilize it? Yes, that is a word … as of now.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Also, if you use dec weight for both sides, is batting necessary?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made it with a canvas one side and MW the other.

I don’t know that you need the batting but it gives it a lovely gentle ‘poofiness’,I actually used a layer of batting(I peeled layers off one piece of batting).

You don’t want bear getting a sore bottom!

~Nicole~

PS Batting can be costly so when I was making ‘wermaids’ I purchased a cheap poly quilt for $5 from the supermarket and pulled that apart.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

By quilt I mean an eiderdown.

~Nicole~

LINK
    icicle @icicle

I agree with Nicole — you don’t need the batting for structural reasons but I’m glad I didn’t cut the corner there as it makes it feel much nicer than a thinner layer would.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Good to know, thank you ladies — I only have wool batting scraps at the moment which is very poofy (I could have SWORN I had cotton which is thinner, but can’t find it anywhere), I think I will try using a double layer of flannel and see if that does anything exciting for it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Flannel may be a bit thick Sarvi,can you thin down the wool batting?

~Nicole~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Well, as it turns out I had bigger issues than the flannel. This thing is a super huge disaster — I sewed a strap WELL into the side seam despite being explicitly told not to, then sliced the edges off it while trimming before turning. Also, the ‘curves’ are … not. This is what I get for trying to speed-sew for a sick baby! Haste is never rewarded with excellence.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it makes you feel better sweetheart,Tildy,at 3,is really only using hers now. She got funny about having it strapped on.

Whereas Liddy,at 8,uses Tildy’s all the time for Amanda.

I guess I should make her her own?

~Nicole~

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I used two layers of bamboo quilt wadding in mine, and yes, the “poofiness” after it’s been washed is just divine. It wouldn’t be strictly needed, but it’s really nice if you’ve got it. I think the wool quilt wadding would be even nicer. I didn’t need (nor do I own) a walking foot, and with canvas straps, suede backing, two bamboo layers and the quilting cotton it was pretty thick.

The ones I’ve just made would defnitely be reversible, if only one added a pocket on the other side and buttons on both sides of the straps.

For that reason it might be better to use velcro where the buttons are normally placed. Unless you have a very wriggly teddy (ha ha) I think velcro all round would be secure enough. The good thing about velcro for the kid attcahments is that they can easily get it off themselves, and I guess, should they hang themselves on playground equipment, the velcro will open up, where a button might not!

Sorry to hear of your “lack of excellence” Sarvi.

Impressive speed Marjorie!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.