Oliver + S

Baptism Dress?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Hoping yet again to pull from your collective wisdom and creativity! I am having my daughter baptized at the end of December, she’ll be a year old. I’d love to make her dress using an O+S pattern. Any thoughts on the best pattern for a formal Baptism gown? I think generally they’re very long and flowy, maybe even just a longer Puppet Show dress or playdate in a pretty white silk. What do you all think? Would love other ideas.

Thank you so much!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The most beautiful Baptism gown I ever saw was a Bubble dress sans bubbles in pure white batiste self lined.

It was perfect.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have to second Nicole! Sounds dreamy!

~Sharon~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, Bubble definitely will work, but I also think puppet show lengthened would be lovely. I guess you’ll need a sweater too though. Maybe add some lace or pin tucks? I have to admit, I’m having a hard time picture what to wear for a child that old though. I can only picture really long robes on a babe In arms, not a walking child. I wonder how long it should be? Is there a custom you’re following?

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Well she’s not yet walking on her own, but crawling all over and walking with assistance from furniture and people. Maybe it should be mid calf? Yes Bubble would be great too, forgot about that one. It’s a very casual and simple affair, no big formal get together, just close family. Anything goes, pretty much.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have always thought that the Family Reunion dress would make a lovely Baptismal gown. You could lengthen it if you wanted to and it has all the lovely elements in the pintucks as that of a family heirloom. This is beautiful in silk but also equally lovely in a Batiste. You could even put a fancy band of lace on it with ease I think because of the way the hem is done. You could do some hand embroidery if you are inclined at the part where the buttons go – omit the buttons on the front and maybe embroider a symbol of baptism (shell, cross, dove) and it would be a lovely keepsake to have either framed or boxed for future generations to wear then – just like an heirloom christening gown. The length would be perfect for your baby girl I think.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I’m with jstsweit; I think the FR dress would be perfect; a timeless style and so many traditional christening frocks have little sleeves. It would also not too bulky to wrap a shawl around for warmth. I hope the ceremony/celebration is a happy day, Kelly.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Yes! That is it, I will do Family Reunion. Thank you for the gorgeous visual, I love the idea of embroidering a cross where the buttons go. Beautiful. I will try for silk, perhaps dupioni. Thank you so much! Lastly, I am dying to make these little booties: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39113615@N06/6529411915/in/photostream/ but can’t find the pattern anywhere. The issue seems to be sold out on the Ottobre site and all Etsy listings I’ve seen. Any idea how I can get my hands on it, or something similar?

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Kelly, I haven’t used this bootie pattern but my sister has.

http://makeitandloveitshop.bigcartel.com/product/abigail-baby-booties-pdf-sewing-pattern

Maybe it will work for you?

Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Hollie

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Thank you, Hollie! That pattern looks perfect, I just bought it!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think the cross embroidery is a lovely idea,

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Sounds you are ready to go, Kelly! Hope the construction process goes smoothly.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It certainly will be a special dress for your little one her special day. I trust you know how to get the embroidery on and looking great? You sound like you know what you are doing. Sing out if you are stuck. This pattern is a beautiful style and the construction is fairly straight forward. If you haven’t made it before though, the pin tucks need to be exactly on the measurement for the whole thing to come together.

It’ll be gorgeous.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Is your little girl a fine build? The neckline is quite scooped and I find with my little one I needed to size it back in width. Perhaps knock up a bodice muslin.

I would hate you to go to all the trouble and it not fit well.

~Nicole~

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Nicole, yes, she is a fine build. She’ll be 12 months and I was thinking of making the 6-12 month. I should do a muslin. But to do all those pin tucks twice…oy. I am thinking again about the Bubble dress as I know the fit would be a sure thing (the wide neck of FR does make me nervous) but without the bubble. I just don’t know if the bodice would be “special” enough, although I do like the faint cap sleeves.

justsewit – ack…i have done plenty of embroidery, and know enough to not knot the thread in back, and perhaps use a stabilizer, but are there any other tricks I should keep in mind? Maybe I would use a chain stitch? I have made the FR dress twice, and am meticulous about the pintucks. As Nicole pointed out, my only concern is that the neckline would be too wide. I don’t think I’m an experienced enough sewer to know how to bring it higher though.

Thank you everyone for your input…I so love this community!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.