Oliver + S

Baptism Dress?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Oh, and to add, I already purchased some Dupioni silk in a lovely cream…I hope the drape is fluid enough. I worry it may be too stiff. But I’ve been catching up on Nicole’s bumped posts, so helpful!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made this in dupion silk http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6169399924/in/set-72157627704619988 and this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6895718950/in/photostream/

It is definitely a little stiff in texture but I love that.

It will be softer if you wash it first.

I am sure it will be lovely!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I haven’t made the family ruining, but from the Flickr photos. It clearly does have a low neckline. I still vote for puppet show. The sleeves are adorable and the collar will look very traditional. As for embroidery, what about appliquéing some lace if you’re nervous about doing it by hand? I have been pinning ideas for First Communion here: http://pinterest.com/melanieew/first-communion/ . I found some lace from the Martha Pullen store with crosses.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

This would be pretty on the bottom of the dress: http://store.marthapullen.com/p-6762-cross-edging-6. I would consider lining the silk fully with a cotton batiste. I think the body of the dupioni will be just fine and as Nicole says, it will soften if you wash it. I wash it by hand with Woolite and dry it as you would hand knits, but pressing moisture out carefully in a towel then laying it flat.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

OK…I finally have it (mostly) figured out. I will do the Puppet Show. You’re right, Meleliza, the collar gives it some formality, and the skirt is nice and drapey and I think the whole silhouette is closest to a traditional baptismal gown. I also ordered that Cross lace trim…beautiful. Thank you!

Nicole I don’t know how I missed those FR dresses in the Flickr group! The copper and turquoise one had me breathless. It is stunning. I think I may have seen the green one on your little one. Just gorgeous. I love how you have made a more casual style very formal. Beautiful work.

So I will wash the silk first, and line the Puppet Show dress. I’m sort of new to lining, would I just make up the same dress in the lining fabric, sandwich the collar between the two, sew together at the collar and sleeves and leave the side seams and bottom to hang independently? Then attach the sleeve binding after? I suppose I wouldn’t need the hem facing then? Oh, I guess the back placket would need to be reworked too…I will fiddle with that.

And for the lace trim, does that get overlayed onto the silk or does it hang down independently?

Sorry for the million questions, you’ve all just given me such great ideas, though they seem to be broadening my sewing horizons (happily so)!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Puppet Show includes a bodice lining only. The construction of the back plackat is the only part that’s fiddly. I cut back skirt lining pieces following the back bodice lining pieces, attached the skirt lining to the bodice lining before joining the back dress to the back dress lining. This way, you can extend the plackat all the way to the hem. Most dress linings hang free, but becuase of the way the back button plackat is constructed, I tucked the lining into the hem facing at the bottom to make a clean finish.

I did not line the sleeves, though if I made this again I might. There are lots of unfinished edges in the sleeves that I bound in bias. Maybe a sleeve lining would cut back on this. I can’t dig out the dress now to look, as baby is napping. Here it is in Liberty, I think it was a 12 month size: http://queenoftheflies.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-dress.html

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

No not at all, just thought I would ask as some people would go holis bolis into a project and not undertake the initial thoughts of stabilizer and to not cut the piece out prior to embroidering etc. We are after all after a successful project.

But I am glad you have had three suggestions of three very different and all equally lovely patterns to choose from and if the Puppet show dress is your pick it will be perfect – embroidery or not.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Well I’m almost done with my Puppet Show baptism dress. I followed Meleliza’s advice on the lining, and will tuck in the skirt lining to the placket. I will line the sleeves, though not sure what my method will be. I did have a question on the hem facing. Would I just hem the lining with a simple 5/8″ tucked hem, and follow the standard pattern instructions for the outside skirt hem facing? That seems to make the most sense…

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m not sure this was strictly correct, since a lining ought to hang free, but given the construction of the puppet show dress, I also tucked the lining into the hem facing. I did not line the sleeves, but I think I would attach the sleeve lining at the cuff, set the sleeve leaving the lining free, then hand stitch the sleeve lining to the body lining for a very nice finish. I can’t wait to see it when it’s done!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

My daughter was the lucky recipient of the copper and turquoise! I have nothing useful to add to the topic, I am just shamelessly bragging. You have to see it in person to appreciate the gleaming materials and the detailed, impeccable workmanship. It’s out of this world.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I wouldn’t hem the lining, I would cut it the same length or slightly (1/8″) shorter than the outer layer and then tuck it into the hem facing ( I presume it’s similar to the tea party hem facing). I wouldn’t hem the lining because it would add a ridge inside the facing and might hang funny.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Aw,Sarvi,you make me blush…

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

OK great, I’ll tuck in the lining to the hem facing. But ACK! I just tried it on her and the sleeves and cuffs fit fine until I try to cinch the cuff to simulate the button closure. It will be too tight around her chubby little arm. How can I modify this?

Sarvi, aren’t you lucky!! I’d never let her step out in the house in anything else!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I had the same issue and wasn’t able to correct it since it was sent off as a gift, but I wondered about sewing the button very close to one edge, and making a button loop with crocheted thread from the other edge:

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/09/thread-chain-tutorial.html

like so, but maybe with a little longer loop?

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

That is a great idea, Sarvi! That should work perfectly. Thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.