Oliver + S

Assembling the yoke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am sewing a shirt for my grandson for Christmas photos and I am stuck on assembling the yoke. I did make a shirt for him for Easter and I finally did figure it out after I emailed Nicole and watched her excellent tutorial but for some reason I cannot figure this out now. Last night I sat and read the tutorial with the shirt, to no avail. Can anyone who has sewn this shirt please explain it to me another way?

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I did it! I guess the answer is wait until morning and try again. Also I worked backwards: I pinned the shoulders how they should look when finished then fed the shirt fronts through the corresponding yoke, then re- pinned.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Yippy!! I always take a break too when haveing problems.It semas to help. 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That yoke is a bit of a ding dong moment.

How the heck do I do this???? Oh,’ding dong’,like THAT!

xx

~Nicole~

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Good on you for figuring it out and working backwards – great method for finding a solution to the bits that could otherwise stump one!

LINK
    mamaB @mamaB

kmac: would you please post the link to the tutorial? I cannot figure out how to pin this yoke!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Lay the shirt out, with the 2 front facing you, right side up. Take one side of the yoke that is facing you at the top of the shoulder, fold that un sewn edge 1/2 to the wrong side of the yoke and pin to the shoulder, I pinned it horizontally just to hold it while I turn it (now it looks like how it will look when it is sewn, but don’t sew it). Take that one side of the the front of the shirt that goes with that yoke and thread it through the tunnel (hole) you now have in the yoke, from the outside edge of the shirt towards the inside and keep pulling gently until you can get to that seam that you pinned to turn inside out. Repin and sew the seam.The 2 right sides of the yoke will be facing each other with the raw seam between them. Do the other yoke on the other side of the shirt the same way.

LINK
    mamaB @mamaB

thank you for your advice everyone! It was wonderful and I got the yoke! Now I am stymied by the sleeve placket. I have it sewn and it matches the drawing in the pattern instructions after sewing (wrong side of sleeve to right side of placket) and the fold in my placket behind the sleeve matches the fold in the placket from the drawing, however how to press it is baffling me! Does anyone have photos of their plackets so I can reference them? I think another view of it would help me figure it out.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Would this be any help?

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/sketchbook-shirt-tutorial-part-2.html

You may need to scroll down a wee bit.

LINK
    gy17 @gy17

Hi there. I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while and they are amazingly helpful, but I’m having quite a bit of trouble with the yoke piece. Somehow, when I’ve wrapped and sewn, either the front or the back of the shirt is through the neck, but the other side is free. So if I try to pull it through, one side (front or back, not right or left) ends up tangled.

Is there some special way I should be wrapping the yoke such that both the back and the front are wrapped through? I can’t seem to figure out how to do that. I did look at Nicole’s pictures but still can’t make head or tail of how the wrapping is done.

Thanks in advance!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I did another blog post with a different shirt. Let me see if I can find that for you.

Or perhaps try U-tube?

There may be a video.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5
    LINK
    gy17 @gy17

Oh! I got it, thank you very much. For some reason, though the instructions clearly said to sandwich the front of the shirt between the yokes, i kept thinking that the yokes’ right sides had to actually be touching. The Ayashe pics helped. Thanks again!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am so pleased!

xx

~Nicole~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Aww, darling tiny girl! Snif! Time moves too quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.