Oliver + S

After Oliver+S

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    sarsourour @kookiblah

My children are only 3 and 1.5 so I know I still have lots of time. But my concern is what I am going to sew for my kiddos when they no longer fit in Oliver+S patterns. Are there plans to increase the size range? What do people do after? It’s making me a little sad because I love these patterns so much.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hopefully by the time your children outgrow the Oliver and s patterns, there will be a wealth of new patterns just right for them and of course for you to sew them.

My daughter has outgrown the patterns but I upsize just a tad further because she is still a bit small for the Liesl and co patterns. Being only eleven, nearly twelve it can be difficult to find something that will suit her tastes and mine but for now we have found a Jalie jeans pattern and are happy to go with the metro tee for ladies and that seems to satisfy her when it comes to casual wear. There is also Ottobre design magazine which has lots of patterns every issue and there are four per year for children up to 170cm.

There are of course the big four companies to turn to. Often it is the case these days where if we can’t find a nice boutique pattern we turn to them.

Some ladies here have tried the doe and deer range of patterns for their children and I know Nicole is a dab hand at these aswell as some of the lesser known patterns for men.

But I think that gradually over time you will see a steady supply of new patterns that would be ideal for your children when they reach that age/ stage of not being able to wear Oliver and s.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I really hope justsewit is right and the trend toward more handmade continues, but to be honest, looking at the world as a whole and the increasing extremes of wealth and poverty, I think labor is going to continue to be under downward wage pressure for a long time, and that’s going to mean continued low prices for ‘disposable’ clothing, with the knock-on effect that sewing at home will continue to be a pursuit available to the lucky ones who have both the time and money for it. Regrettably, most teenagers are not as clever as Nicole’s girls and may not realize that having a custom wardrobe is incredible good fortune — the will to conform is more often pretty strong at that age when identities are still in flux.

Which is a terribly long-winded before-morning-coffee way of saying that it might be wise to snap up really cool independent designs in larger sizes when you see them, as they may not still be available by the time your kids age out of O+S. So saith my gloomy magic 8-ball.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

If it helps anyone feel better, I’ll tell you that I am looking into a few ideas in this department. So stay tuned on that one!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Yay!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yahoo!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Ooooh, that’s exciting!!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh my goodness! That’s huge news!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Yahoo! My son was mourning the loss of his last pair of Sandbox shorts, as I told him these would *only* last him two more years.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you for the mention of my sweet girls!

That is very exciting to hear of new patterns…..

To answer the OP’s question, I actually think Liesl is well on her way to helping us with the patterns she stocks in her ‘store’.

Many of them are tiny sizes, very groovy and, being PDF’s, they are perfect for impatient Teens who want the pattern NOW!

Plus, I figure, Liesl stocking them is a recommendation in itself.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That’s great news Liesl! Especially as one of the kid’s I regularly sew for is very nearly out of the Oliver and S sizing 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.