Oliver + S

2014 Sewing Goals and Resolutions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

We talked over here: https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=2099 about what we had planned for 2013, and got to see how the year panned out.

How about next year? What are your goals? What are your resolutions?

My resolutions are to keep my materials and workspace better organized. Better storage for my buttons and ribbons, so I can find everything. Better fabric organization with bins so I can get something from the back/bottom of a pile without causing chaos everywhere else.

My goals are to keep working on sewing for myself. I helped a friend make a duck tape dress form (like this: http://craftygemini.blogspot.com/2013/01/diy-duct-tape-dress-form-dos-donts.html) and if it works out well for her I might just make one for myself. And to make one part of my advent calendar per month so I FINALLY have one for next year!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Oh that’s easy for me!

My resolutions are to sew everything I bought planned but didn’t get to this year, the ones I bought the fabric and patterns for that it. with my health taking a bit of a nose dive I have not had the time or energy to finish things on my list.

My goals are to sew from every pattern I have bought that has not been used! That great part is that most of those are for me. ; ) I will do this first before any more patterns are bought. That and try and sew down on my fabric stash.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I did not make any resolutions last year re: sewing. This year I would like to sew roughly 75% of my kids’ wardrobes, DS included. I keep getting boxes of hand-me-downs for the baby, which is great because he is growing out of everything so quickly I would not have time to keep up with the sewing. But once his growth slows (and the boxes stop coming), I will include him in that percentage.

This year I have done a pretty good job of sewing from stash when possible, and I’d like to keep that up. I’ve recently accumulated a lot of new apparel fabric so the challenge will be to sew a bit of that down and then keep the stash the size it already is.

And get better at sewing for myself.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

What skills should I undertake in 2014? 2013 was the year of the invisible zipper, lined garments and FBAs. I haven’t tried welt pockets yet. There is so much out there to explore.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ooh, I’m going to nab FBA and add that to my list as well.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I would like to do some pattern busting. I have two O&S patterns to sew and a coat pattern for me. Maybe I’ll even make the coat before spring comes. (Who am I kidding?)

My stash is way out of hand. I’m working on a scrap quilt now which will help a little. Stash busting is definitely on the list. Last night my husband compared me to Smaug, the dragon in the Hobbit who hoards gold. He said I hoard fabric instead. Isn’t really that, much fabric, but my sewing space is small. My quilting stash takes up most of the drawers so knits and apparel fabric have no home. (Excuses, excuses.)

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m trying to implement a 1 in, 2 out policy. I’ve finally got a good sense of what fabric i will in fact actually use and wear. I feel my buying has become more strategic. Trouble now is using stuff I bought early on when I didn’t know what I was doing.

I would like to take a class. A real class. Not a just for fun entertainment class, but substantive one with advanced techniques. There’s a new studio here that offers evening wear draping and tailoring. I’m going to check out their space on First Friday this weekend with hubby. There’s also a certificate program in fashion design at one of the art colleges designed for those who have already been to college. Some of the faculty include Urban Outfitters designers and costume designers from the Opera. Of course, these classes are expensive…

I’d also like to get back to New York! For sewing, shopping, whatever. Did you see Heather Ross is planning to renew her weekend workshops? So fun.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I decided a few months ago that if I “need” to buy new fabric, that I would try and make organic or eco- friendly choices whenever possible. But more than even buying anything new, I am trying to use my stash or find ways to reuse other types of fabric (like upcycling old clothing/sheets).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I was pleased with my ‘rota’ system of sewing. It gave me a pretty good variation of projects.

I swing between wanting to chuck a lot of my fabric out but then I have the room to store it……

LINK
    Jane @jesims

My resolution is to make time for myself to sew. I have been so busy with the kid’s lives these past few months that my machine is gathering dust. Hubby asked me last night if I was going to have the new Christmas stockings done in time for Christmas, I just laughed at him.

Piper desperately needs pants. She won’t wear any pants I purchase from a store because they are all “skinny” and she doesn’t like the constricting feel (she says they hurt, I think that means she doesn’t like the tightness). I have bought some bright pink and peacock blue corduroy and some purple twill to make her pants for winter. I really must get on it or she’s going to freeze soon! Pants will be my last project of 2013 or first of 2014.

Jane

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Every year I feel like mine are the same: pattern bust, fabric stash bust, and sew for myself.

I’ve made decent progress on those resolutions this year. One thing I need to work on is being more intentional about my sewing. I flit from one project to another and put off those that really need to be done so I can sew something frivolous up. Lack of time is not a problem…more like lack of discipline!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Time is a problem right now and it has been rather stressful here too this year so actually being able to spend just some time sewing everyday would be the goal for next year. I started off doing well but then plans turned topsy with some spontaneous decisions were made by others so to counteract this for next year, I want to aim to do a minimum one hour sewing at the machine everyday. Just one hour minimum! It means I will move slower but it will also mean I get to sew and not just talk about sewing.

I have a few quilts I plan to work on over the summer – but then that may or may not happen due to family rumours. Either way, they happen to be a priority on the list because they are taking up so much room!

I need to stash bust on the fabric as the needs are changing.

I need to pattern stash bust as again the needs are changing.

And I might try this rota system Nicole recommends. It might help clear the mind a bit.

Oh and I want to make jeans! For me!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Taking first steps towards next years goals, hubby and I braved a shivery rain to go out int the First Friday mobs? There’s a relatively new sewing studio up there with very serious high end courses. The proprietress worked in the Opera company’s costume department, where they do everything absolutely couture for the industry’s biggest names. She has also run clothing lines and had other jobs I’m fashion. It was a wonderful envent with lots of interesting people, as only you can meet in the art neighborhood of a big city. She was very sweet and vites me t bring my work in one day so we can figure out what would be a good course for me. She offers tailoring, drapeing, evening wear and coresetry as well as more beginning course. Gosh, how to choose?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Oh, wow! How exciting Melelzia!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh the opportunity!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.