Oliver + S

Wonky straps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Alison Cummins @Alison Cummins

Using the instructions to sew the straps in the dress was a real bear. The straps were pulling the work off grain when I was sewing the facing into the body of the dress so I kept having to stop sewing, adjust everything and repin. When that was done the facing was sewn in beautifully but the straps pointed in all directions. I had to cut them out and redo them several times. I haven’t done this yet, but next time I plan to try this method:

1. Cut each strap three inches longer than indicated. Mark the stitching lines two inches from each end.

2. Sew the facing to the body of the dress, stopping at the insertion points for the straps. Trim seams (except for insertion points), press and understitch.

3. From the right side, insert the straps up to the marked stitching line. When you are satisfied that they are straight, pin the ends to the facing at three points.

4. Turn the facing inside out and stitch the straps in place. Trim seam allowances and turn right side out. Confirm that straps are straight and cut off extensions.

Aside from the straps, everything went together easily and perfectly.

Any thoughts?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Thanks for sharing this Alison. The straps pulled out on the version that I made and 1 month later I still haven’t repaired it.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I didn’t have any issues with the straps, but this’ll be nice to have for anybody who hits a snag there. Sometimes it just takes hearing something explained a certain way for the concept to click, and that ‘certain way’ can be different for each person.

I do sometimes have trouble with pins, generally, when working with something small like straps, so I like to use a pinch of fusible web in those spots. I sometimes do that for zippers also.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

No probs with the straps here either, but its always good to have a heads up to potential problems.

I did blog a tute for the slip dress here, if that is any help. http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/pinwheel-slip-dress-tutorial.html

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

No issues here either. I actually basted mine on before sewing the facing just so they wouldn’t go wonky. Maybe this could help? It is rather awkward sewing this step because the straps dictate how much pliability you have with the actual part you are sewing. So I do understand your dilemma – basting will help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.