Oliver + S

Which way to place the stripes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

While sitting here agonizing over the next dress, I knew where to go… Today I bought some lovely Kate Fassett striped material today and I reckon it will look lovely as a roller skate dress, but I can’t decide which way to place the stripes horizontally or vertically? If I make it with vertical stripes it will mean cutting against the grain of the fabric. I’m wondering if that would be ok because it is a lined dress… Anyways what do you reckon? I’m making a size 2T for a friend’s niece.

Thanks in advance

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I like the strips going vertically. I am not sure why I just do. ; ) I am wanting to use some stripped fabric for little miss too.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Is this pin any help?

http://pinterest.com/pin/73676143876601181/?

I often use fabric against the grain I think as long as it isn’t silk its okay.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

horizontal stripes would be more of the moment.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I love horizontal stripes!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I think horizontal stripes give something a nautical look. Vertical stripes are more regular and formal. I like using the stripes as a design element like in Nicole’s pin. Stripes can also be alternated on pockets. I made the Roller Skate dress with a 2 tone ticking stripe vertically placed and then appliqued the hem like Liesl’s sample. I think if the fabric has the stripes going from selvedge to selvedge then it is meant to be horizontal.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I don’t think it matters to much with quilting cotton which way you use it. I think vertical would be unexpected and fun.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.