Oliver + S

Which pants are your favorite?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I have yet to make pants except pj pants. I have the after school pattern, but I hesitate because I think I should have gotten the smaller size. My daughter is almost 6, but very slim.

Now that there is a paper pattern sale I’m thinking about pants. Which is your go to pattern? Which works best for a slim kid?

Weigh in and help me choose.

Thanks!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I haven’t made the afterschool pants but I would have thought they would be good for a slim child as they are more slim fitting. What size dose she measure at her hips? and what style dose she like? skinny, wider or just plain comfy (probably nature walk for pure comfort and ease of sewing). I would make the size that fited her hips and lengthen them for any pants.

I’ve made 3 sandbox pants and they look great. I have also taken advantage of the sale and brought the field trip as I love the cargos and I think the boys (and girls) will too!

Good luck!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Afterschool trousers are great for petite children.

With the different pieces and ruffled pocket option you can change the look.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

After school are great. Sandbox was fab until N grew out of his but I did an 8 with about a 6 length because I found them very long on my already tall boy. I like the sketchbook shorts as trousers and will (hopefully) get to use this for uniforms. I am yet to try the Field trip pants but O dare say they will fast become a favourite for my two.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I have not made the After School but understand that they have a lovely fit. I have to plug to the Sketchbook and the Sailboat, though. They’re gorgeous and two very different looks. I make both as full length.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

The Field Trip are roomier and take longer to sew. The cargo pockets flaps are a pain to press and difficult to get to remain flat. I added a button and then left the pocket off the second pair that I made. My daughter wears them all the time. They are so comfortable. After School are dressier and more feminine. After School have a lower waist. I did a hybrid of After School and Sketchbook and made long skinny jeans. Those are my favorite. I love the little After School back pockets and the way the back yoke forms a V.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Sandbox and Sailboat are my personal faves but they are no longer available as paper patterns (at least not on the O+S) site. I like the Sketchbook too! I don’t have the After School or the Field Trip and haven’t made the Nature Walk pants (yet).;)

Cindy

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, right, Cindy, thank you. I’m sorry, I missed the ‘paper pattern’ part. Apologies!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I really love the sailbaot and the Afterschool pants. The After school pants tend to be smiler fit than the other O+S patterns so they fit my kids great. I have yet to try the cargo pants.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I measured my daughter. She has 23 1/2 inch hips and 20 1/2 waist. That puts her at a 4t with room to grow. Does the size chart refer to the child or the size of the finished garment?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The size chart is for bodies.

I think some of the older patterns had ‘finished garment measurements’ but that would be stated.

4t with room to grow would be perfect for the AfterSchool trousers.

I found these had nice long legs too.

I have a tute for the construction if you fancy a peep http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/after-school-frolics.html

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Whoops,sorry,that was the top!

Here is the trousers http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/after-school-frolics-part-two.html

xx Nicole

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Thanks! A tute is always helpful.

I’m tempted to take a little off the side seam since the height makes her a 5t. Either that or I have to lengthen the rise and leg of a 4t (and buy the smaller pattern).

This is why I have stuck to tops and dresses. I am determined to figure out pants.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Perhaps knock up a 5 in a less then favourite fabric?

The worst thing that could happen in that they are too big and your child will grow.

They have an elastic back which aids with fitting issues.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Yes, I’m sure I have a yard or so of something for an experiment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.