Oliver + S

Which dress to make with this fabric?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    paula @paula

Your advice please 🙂

I purchased this fabric last fall and have been wondering what to make with it… It has pictures from Maryland, the Bay Bridge, Washington Monument, Maryland Blue Crab, Gettysburg, etc. Our State Fair starts this week, and I just dropped off some chocolate chip cookies to be entered and had a light bulb moment. I want to make this into a dress for my daughter for the fair! I have the Birthday Party pattern, but after reviewing it, I think the way it is assembled is best for smaller print fabrics. Then I remembered a few of the lovely panel Fairy Tale dresses that were posted – a tulip one (?) and the Monet panel. They were beautiful! However, this print really isn’t a panel and am wondering if you think it would work?

Quilter's Quest

Take a look and let me know which dress you think would work best? Or should I just go with a skirt? Lazy Days?

Thanks!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about a popover sundress? The front and back are cut as a single piece each and the only seams are on the sides therefore not interupting the flow of the pattern. The yoke and shoulder ties could be in a lovely contrasting colour.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

What about the Ice Cream with a solid yoke?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think it would make an amazing Fairy Tale, sleeveless, with a red (or red gingham) bow/sash, with white cotton petticoats/lining trimmed with white cotton broderie lace!

Worn with a white cardy if its cool and a straw hat she would stop crowds!

Do make it….

~Nicole~

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I don’t have a dress suggestion, I was wondering where you are in Maryland? I am down in SoMD, Calvert County. Love the fabric!

Jane

LINK
    paula @paula

Well, I’ve downloaded BOTH the Ice Cream and the Fairy Tale dresses and already have the Popover 😉 I may make one of the two simpler dresses for this year, and make the Fairy Tale for next year to enter into the sewing competition! I have already planned on entering a quilt next year and just saw that they have a children’s clothing and dress section! By then I’ll have my serger/ overlocker (just broke down and ordered a cheap one to start) and hopefully will have gained enough experience to have a chance!

Hi Jane! I’m in Baltimore County, Towson to be specific! It is so nice to ‘meet’ others in my area!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Jane, I thought you were Australian!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Nicole,

That’s funny, wonder what made you think that? I have been blessed to live and travel around the world while my husband served in the USNavy, but sadly never made it to Australia. It is however on my Bucket List and if a visit down under ever happens I will be sure to look up my O+S friends. I would love to visit your farm!

Jane

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I think it would be lovely as an Ice Cream with a solid top and bottom. Being originally from NoVa, I love that fabric!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Aw, that print made me smile, I was born in Silver Spring and one of my first food memories at all is smashing crabs on brown paper by the Chesapeake. I think it would be lovely as a Fairytale, with white or red accents.

LINK
    paula @paula

Here is a link to the fabric finished in an Ice Cream Dress! Was it just me, or is this dress more difficult than it looks? I had a tough go of the back yoke and the bottom panel (had to unpick and resew, then just gave up – so don’t look too closely…)! I also attempted to line up the pockets and was a little off by the cannon, wondering if I should have just gone with a random piece if I couldn’t have gotten it perfect?

I’m not sure if I like the solid color, I had the ladies at the fabric store help me out, and now I’m second guessing it…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koalapaula/9581699987/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koalapaula/9584486644/

Thanks to Nicole for the tip about the barrack!

I plan on making the Fairy Tale for our state fair next year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.