Oliver + S

Where to Buy Fabric?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • LINK
    Michellephant @Michellephant

Just wondering what online fabrics shops everyone loves most. Window shopping for fabric is my new obsession so I need more sites! I’m especially interested in sites that sell knits and other stretch fabrics. I’m ready to move away from plain old cotton!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I do well on grotty old eBay.

But you do need to know what you are after and be prepared for the odd ‘bin job’.

I get most of my knits as remnants from dance studios on eBay.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I am a recent convert to the cult of girlcharlee.com for knits. I’ve been mostly happy with what I have purchased there (and the prices are great). I’ve also shopped at banberryplace.com for knits.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Where abouts are you based? I have loads of online shops I use that are pretty much all UK based, and a google map with loads of ‘proper’ fabric shops in England marked on it, which I am more than happy to share with anyone who wants either. I tend to avoid ordering from overseas unless I am willing to pay the really high postage costs, or the tax if outside the EU. Of course, I can’t always resist the temptation of overseas delights….

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

dubhels2003: Please post that (or leave the link on my blog – link is if you click on my username). I’m in Sweden and I’m also on the look out for places to get fabric that isn’t in the US so I can skip the taxes and save a little on shipping. UK shops would be perfect! Thank you.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I use Harts Fabric and fabric.com consistently. Harts has great service when you call or email, lots of notions and will match thread for you. And with the CA time difference, I can order really early in the day and get stuff fast. I also like Hawthorne Threads for their selection of designer voiles. They are also gradually expanding out from quilting fabrics. I’ve used gorgeous fabrics occasionally, but their stuff is not always to my taste, even if the quality is good. I order from Martha Pullen occasionally, but same as above. There’s also Purl Soho for Liberty, but you’ll pay top dollar. If you’re looking for a very specific print, Etsy can be good.

I order Liberty from Shaukat in London. Their prices are unbeatable and if I get a decent amount, even with the shipping its a great deal. Over the summer I broke down and ordered some bright pink batiste from Citronille in France. Prices were high, but it was the same heirloom quality as Martha Pullen, but with a much more fashionable color selection.

It’s a little crazy that I don’t just go up to NYC once or twice a year, but there it is. I simply don’t often have an entire day free.

LINK
    Michellephant @Michellephant

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I’m in the U.S. so I think most EU-based sites are off limits unless I saw something spectacular. I’ve used Hawthorne Threads (and saw the voiles) and Little Fabric Shop, but haven’t heard of some of the others so I will check them out.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

My MIL just stopped by Shaukat for me today and they told her that it’s actually cheaper for us in the US to order online!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

As an Australian very tired of paying well over the odds for good quality and/or interesting fabric, I’ve become a real fan of Fort Worth Fabric Studio (Texas) over the last couple of years. The proprietor, Jodie is a lovely person to deal with, and very accommodating of a penny pinching foreigner. More importantly, her stock is very reasonably priced – often cheaper than other American online shops – and she has a well varied range of interesting fabrics. Fabric is often on sale, and I’ve never been disappointed with my orders.

Chiefly, FWFS sells quilting fabric so other kinds of fabric needs to be purchased elsewhere. Certainly, Fabric.com has an easy to read site, and Fabric Worm stocks some interesting ranges/combinations. As Spotlight in Australia does a reasonable job with corduroy (one of my favourite fabrics for children) re. quality and price, I buy that here. The Fat Quarter shop is also a great place to look for new fabrics. Hope some of this helps. F

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I’ve been making more clothing for myself so I’ve moved away from the shops that focus on quilting cottons. I consistently use Girl Charlee, Fashion Fabrics Club and Fabric.com. I’ve also ordered from Mood in NYC. Others that I have ‘pinned’ are LowPriceFabric.com and Britex Fabrics, though I’ve not ordered from them as yet. If I do need cotton prints I use Hawthorne Threads – I love the way their site is set up and the various ways you can browse.

My main beef with online fabric shopping (if anyone listening is thinking of opening a shop! 🙂 ) is the ones like Fashion Fabrics Club where they only show 30-odd images per page and you have to keep clicking through. I hate that kind of pagination that doesn’t have a “view all” option.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Ha! Poor Fort Worth. We are all going to hit their server! They are going to be like, wonder what caused that surge in traffic???

hahah.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Also try jimmybeanswoold.com. It is primarily a yarn/knitting/crochet site, but they stock some designer fabric and when it goes on sale it is VERY cheap. I picked up some Valori Wells flannel and Free Spirit cotton jersey there a few months ago for less than half the retail price.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

This is interesting! I tend to buy online alot because of the limited places to go in person with more than bolts of cotton that belong in the 80’s for real!

I do buy from the U.S alot – well mostly to be frank, simply because of the variety. You ladies in the US are very very lucky!

I like Hawthorne threads and Quilthome because they are quick to get the package out. I also shop with Fabric.com and I have bought some beautiful selections from Fat quarter shop but they seem to be more expensive than other places. It sort of evens out when you can’t find the print you want easily elsewhere.

I have bought knits from Fabric.com and Girl Charlee have the most amazing selection.

I have even purchased special fabrics from Farmhouse fabrics. The selection is geared more toward the heirloom and special occasion fabrics but they have a fabulous selection of corduroy and silk dupioni. I’d be interested to compare the quality of Farmhouse fabrics silk and Fabric.com silk to really know where I SHOULD be purchasing.

I find that Spotlight is a place where you need to be rather selective and pick through to find something really good.

I have made the occasional purchase from ebay but that again is mostly quilting fabrics.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Tried Fashion Fabrics Club and was treated to the absolute rudest customer service ever. I ended up asking them to cancel the order and will not be shopping with them again. Pity. I was looking for an alternative to Fabric.com, which has raised prices a bit in the time I’ve been shopping with them and has done away with the awesome coupons they used to have. I will still shop with them, but I was hoping for a back-up.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

What a pip, rthwg that you’ve had such a tiresome experience! Interested to note that Fabric com’s prices are going up – thank you for tip off. Hope you can find a better/cheaper shop. What is near you for shopping offline? (just because I’m interested, F).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.