Oliver + S

What's the biggest size?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    jenheth @jenheth

My niece is 10-years-old and I’m wondering if anyone has tried making this skirt for a big girl. What do you think the biggest waist size would be to make a 44-45″ selvage fit? Thanks! I’m new to sewing but made this for my almost 2 year old and it’s great – so easy!

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

My nine year old daughter made herself this skirt. Her body measurements fit the Oliver + S size 8. I blogged about it here with several pictures: http://stitchedbyhislove.blogspot.com/2011/04/olivias-skirt.html I find the stride a little restrictive, but that’s for very active play. We have cut out another one that she has started to sew. We went with wider fabric so she could have a bit more room. We did not go with the full width of the wider fabric, but at this moment, I can’t remember how much extra we added. Since this means not using the selvages, or rather one selvage edge and not on the other side, she is learning to use the serger. 🙂

Having said that, it all depends on the size of the young gal. Nicole’s older daughter’s who are nearly 12, still fit into the size 8 clothing, where my 9 year old does not. 🙂

Carol

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Carol, Please send on my congratulations to young Olivia on her stirling sewing skills – fantastic to see someone so young catch the “bug”. She did a great job.

Jenheth, the funny thing about measuring children is that they are not all “text book” in measurement so we have to pick the closest to their individual measurements to get the right fit. If your niece is taller than most girls her age and has “meat on her bones” but isn’t stick skinny or chubby, then chances are a bigger size maybe of benefit.

My daughter is only 8 (9 in October) but already she is wearing a 12 in Oliver + s patterns and this is due to her being such a tall girl (the Viking genes are very prominent on my side of the family). I would generally pick a 10 for her but I have found that a 10 is too skimpy even with her measurements falling into this category. So I go for a 12 instead. A little extra room doesn’t do any harm because she will always grow into it. But if you do one that is too tight, then she wouldn’t be able to wear it for long let alone at all.

Sorry I haven’t made this skirt for my girl as yet (looks like a great start sewing project for holidays) but I hope I helped you out in the sizing department.

Tamara

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Then: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27858004@N05/3710486415/

Now: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27858004@N05/5747188715/

My daughter made her’s when she was 10 and it still fits 2 years later. She used 2 panels of fabric to make it ‘twirly’ enough. She’s thin for her age but quite tall and has always been so.

LINK
    jenheth @jenheth

Thanks for all the info! If you don’t use the selvage to selvage route, would pinking shears be a good way to edge the extra material? As I don’t have easy access to a serger. Beachmom… so did you use 88″ worth of fabric for the width then – it looks great! And I’m so impressed at these young girls taking up sewing. I’ll get my niece’s waist and knee to waist measurements and maybe you can all advise further. Thanks!

Jen

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Jen,

I’ll pass your compliment on to my daughter.:) She used 1 1/2 yards of 44″ wide fabric for her skirt. K had cut 2 panels selvage to selvage that were approx. 20″ tall so yes, the width is 88″ I suppose. Doesn’t seem like that! The finished skirt is 18″ long from the top of the waistband to the bottom of the skirt.

You could definitely use pinking shears if needed. If you look on the Oliver + S blog there’s a couple different tutorials on how to finish seam allowances. Hope that helps!

Cindy

LINK
    jenheth @jenheth

Well my sister says she has a 29.5″ waist and waist to knee is 21″. She is a tall girl for almost 10 at 5’2″ and she is just a big sturdy girl!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.