Oliver + S

What to wear for first day of school?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • LINK
    Jane @jesims

I am stuck coming up with Piper’s first day of school outfit. School starts September 3, so it will still be warm but about a month later it will be much cooler. Something like a Garden Party dress may not get too much wear before the cooler weather sets in and since she grows like a weed may be too short when spring comes back. She’s not really a big wearer of pants or shorts. A skirt and blouse combo might work, but I can’t decide which one. I have also considered a Music Box jumper or Seashore dress that I could later layer but again, can’t decide. So, what are your little ones going to wear on the first day of school?

Jane

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Alas, mine wears a uniform, so school months are ‘lean’ months for me. I envy you & your kid all the cute outfits! How about a Music Box combo? Sweet little blouse that can also be very nicely layered under a pinafore later, and a darling skirt, all in one package.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Sorry, Music Class, rather!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about the Jumprope dress? I think these are often mbmy favourite “back to school” outfits 🙂 It may be because I live in Australia and students wear a gingham or plaid version in summer! It would also be lovley with leggings/tights and a cardigan/pullover. And you could probably make an extra large hem on version A and take it down next spring.

Just my 2c worth! Anything you choose will be special because it is the First Day of School clothes.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Love the Music Class.

The bonus of the Jumprope is that you can size up!

Liddy wore the size 8 for her first year of school (with a big hem) and is still wearing it now, 5 years later.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I love the music class and the jumprope options but I also think the music box would be practical to pop a t shirt under for the start and also when it gets cooler also. This could be a longer lasting option and I also think the music class blouse underneath looks great.

You want something practical and I would say these are the best.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

This year, I’ve got a Music Class outfit cut and ready to sew for the “First Day” outfit. I’m doing the short sleeves and imagine that hopefully, she’ll wear it with a cardigan when our weather gets “cool” (in California terms).

As we’ve decided to keep her in Montessori this year (rather than the transitional kindergarten in public school) no uniforms for us yet! She’ll be doing kindergarten this year, even though according to the public schools she is too young. Which will mean that she’ll have to do two years of kindergarten when we move her to public schools. I’m not really happy about it!

LINK
    sarahb @sarahb

I’ve made the Jumprope with a lightweight fabric and long sleeves, then lengthened the sleeve tab a little to make it convertible – roll up the sleeves and button the tab so they stay up.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I have just finished a Jumprope Dress made out of stripped shirting for the first day. I made short sleeves, view A. I love that pattern. I also bought red linen fabric for a simple, sleeveless Fairytale to be paired with a cardigan in cooler weather. I am planning a couple of Badminton skorts, too.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh I love this thread. My daughter is starting UPK this year, and has been at home since birth, so this really will be her first day of school ever. I have, of course, been pondering what to make for the special day, even though I will be crying like a blubbering idiot. I will cry next year with kindergarten and race that bus to school to get pictures of her getting on and getting off. But that is next year. 🙂

I have been crying every first day since my son started. I will cry when he starts 3rd grade. I get all emotional seeing them grow up and these milestones hit me.

I wonder if anyone has made a garden party in a long sleeved version? Does its armscye match with any other pattern that has a long sleeve? Can you lengthen that cute little puff/gathered sleeve to a 3/4 length?

You know, we need someone to do that! Someone who has all the patterns can do a chart so we know what sleeves work with which other patterns. Like categorizing the patterns by armscye so you know if you have an “A” armscye pattern, then the sleeves from another “A” armscye pattern would work. Meh, I am nuts! 🙂

Oh Julia’s Mom… do you have a late birthday girl? My daughter will be 4 years 9 mo when she starts UPK. When she starts Kinder, she will be 5 years 9 mo. Our cutoff is Dec 1 and she is Dec 27. So for us it was push the school and make her the baby or let her wait and be the oldest. We choose to let her wait. She is tiny, and with her getting all kinds of PT and OT, we figured she needed the extra year to be about the same in physical skills. (Actually she will still be behind most her classmates, but only a touch instead of a ton.) She also can already write whereas most kids in UPK can’t. But that is ok. She struggles in some areas, so she should get to excel in others! All kids deserve to excel in some way!

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I loved Nicole’s 3/4 sleeve version of the Garden Party dress: Garden Party dress for the Farm http://flic.kr/p/mtoHMB

The attached blog post has info on how she did the sleeves 🙂

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I was going to suggest Nicole’s too 🙂

when I want to use a different sleeve than the one supplied I often use the cap the goes with the pattern and then the sleeve I want for the rest, ie from the edge of the cap down.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would love to see a long, gathered cuff sleeve on this dress, something like this http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/babyyoure-starling.html

Thank you Patricia and Heidi (blush)

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I hadn’t even thought bout the Jump Rope dress. It is one of my favorites, she’s awfully picky lately so not sure she would wear it.

Nicole, I missed that version of the Garden Party in Flickr. It’s gorgeous. Love the sleeves.

Cybele, Piper’s birthday is 15 December (she was due the 27th but wanted to be here for Christmas ;)).She will be doing her second year of preschool this year. Kinder doesn’t happen until next year for us.

I’m starting to lean toward a Playtime dress. I think she might actually wear one were I to make it. It’s hard to say though.

Jane

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Jane!

I think the Playtime is an unsung hero. It is a lovely sew with great design details, I have a blogpost if you would like a peep. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143878416947/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.