Oliver + S

What size muslin should I go with?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Inma @Frindmi

My daughter is 20 months and I’m planning her birthday outfit (I need plenty of time to sew since I don’t have that much time with a full time job besides parenting). Her chest measurement is 19 but her waist measurement is 21 (as of a few weeks ago). What size should I maker for her? In other pdfs I’ve been making the 18-24 size but looking at the finished measurement chart it seems like she fits more in a 12-18. Because her birthday is 4 months away I want to account for growth but not end up with something baggy.

Thanks!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Well if it is a muslin and not a final product, I don’t think it will matter too much. After all the point of the muslin is to get the sizing/fit right anyway.

You know her growth pattern best. Is she due for a spurt, is she a little weed in the sunshine, is she a slow and steady grower, did she just have a spurt and due to have a “resting” period?

I’d consider the 18-24 for the muslin. But do the BODICE only as the skirt isn’t really a big deal. Just the rectangle which is easily altered if too large. Just hem it more. No one will think that if the rectangle is too wide it has too many gathers, especially at that minimal size difference.

But do a muslin bodice. That will tell you if it is too baggy right away, and then you can do a muslin of the bodice for the 12-18 if you think the first one is too big.

LINK
    Inma @Frindmi

Thank you! I’ll try that. Did you end up leaving the darts off the one you made for your daughter (I was reading through the posts today)?

My LO has had the same chest size for at least 4 months now, if not more. She did grow from beginning of December to now but she is on the shorter side so length is not going to be a problem. I just worry about the toddler belly.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Draft the pattern piece on to the the fabric, but leave extra length at the waist. You can cut that off if you need to.
    Or add to it.

I have a post here in which I muddled through the process, but it worked!
    http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/i-hope-it-has-happy-ending.html

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I don’t think the smaller sizes have the darts, I think just 2T, maybe 3T have them. I have a paper copy and it’s in with a sleeping baby or I would check for sure.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Britteny’s right. The darts don’t start until the size 2T. Below that they’re left out ’cause most toddlers have bellies bigger than their chests.
    I’d start with the 18-24m size and cut the lining fabric (assuming it’s a cotton voile or something not too fancy) and use that as a muslin. Baste it and if it fits then there’s your lining already cut.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.