Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,806 through 5,820 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

@with-love-heidi – I put up a picture on Flickr of the tee with a link to the Youtube video I used to make the mods.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabeldecibel/25401362291

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

My 10yo needs pants, so I started sewing up a pair of parachute sweatpants this evening. The side stripe is such a nice feature! I didn’t check for fit, but if they’re small my daughter can wear them eventually. I plan to leave out the elastic around the ankles because he prefers sporty pants (like track pants) that aren’t tight at the bottom. The waistband is way too long…easy enough to cut down but I wonder if I measured wrong?
    (Link to lousy phone photo below on IG! Saturday night photography is a no go!!)

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

Alas, the parachute pants do not fit my 10yo son. They’re just too narrow for a comfortable fit, though the length is more or less right. I tightened up the elastic and will hem the cuffs to fit my 8yo daughter, who is pleased. I’ve cut out the 12yo size to try again for my son (glad I have extra fabric)…but I have to say I’m a little disappointed in the inconsistency of sizes in these patterns. I made size 8 and 10 Sleepover PJ pants for my kids for Christmas and they were HUGE. I had to double the cuffs on my daughter’s so she didn’t trip over them. My kids fall right in the middle of the 8/10 sizing chart, so I doubt this is entirely error on my part…or is it really just me?

LINK
    thejennigirl @thejennigirl

@madtownmama- I’ve sewn most of the O+s patterns, but I haven’t noticed any real issues with size inconsistency. I actually have to lengthen the sleepover pants (well, all pants patterns) for all 3 of my babies, and while I haven’t made the parachute pants, I noticed you had an issue with the waistband, so I’m wondering if you utilized the wrong seam allowance with the knit pants? The pants are supposed to be more fitted vs the more relaxed fit of pj pants, and if you used a traditional seam allowance, you could have lost an inch or more of ease. Just some thoughts, as I have no idea how your children are built or prefer their clothing to fit.

I spent the past month cutting out spring and summer sewing projects, and now that my youngest’s reading project is completed and dropped off for the reading fair, this mama is finally going to have time to get some sewing done. For those of you who have been following me on intagram and flickr, this means there might just be actual finished projects instead of just pictures of fabric and patterns, lol

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Susan, I am sorry to hear that. I can’t speak to the parachute pant ease or sizing. Maybe they are cut narrower like a yoga pant? I don’t know.

I always measure before I choose a size. And I really look at the final measurements guide.

Not so much because of size consistency or lack thereof, but rather because who knows if they’ve grown since my last sewing. I also tend to carefully look at the style and think about the ease of a piece and the longevity I wish for it. It is one of the reasons I sew, to make sure it fits the way I/she wants it to.

For example, I cut a size 7 recently in a hopscotch, knowing that although my daughter is between a 5 and 6, she likes things fitted more loosely and I like things to last more than one season.

I am sorry I can’t offer you more in the way of answers about sizing consistency.

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

It’s possible that seam allowance had something to do with the fit. I did shoot for 1/4″ but I use a stretch stitch on my machine and it’s hard to be exact with it because the stitch itself is 1/16″ wide. Even so, that could not have accounted for the 6″ discrepancy in the waistband. I know that the parachute pants are supposed to be more fitted than the PJ pants, but I was surprised to see just how fitted these were.

It seems I’m the only one who has problems with inconsistent sizing so there must just be something wrong with me, I guess! I have to admit I don’t measure carefully before I sew things for my kids. I just cut and go, and somehow expect that if the sizing is correct for one pattern it ought to be right for another. I do always check the sizing guides, but that doesn’t always line up with the finished product.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Susan.
    LINK
    Tineke @Tineke

Hi Susan,
    I’ve done the Parachute pants in size 10, and I don’t have any problem with the waistband. The style is more fitted than pajamas pants but not as fitted as yoga pants. There is still a bit of ease, like the Afterschool pants.
    Hope this can help.
    Tineke

LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

While we have a school days rain jacket cut and ready to go, we’ve been scheming some ‘subtle’ Disney sewing!

LINK
    Sherry @mim22

Hi Susan,
    Just wondering if your material selection had any bearing on the fit.
    I have found that not all stretch fabric are the same, some have so much more stretch than others. I made t-shirts for my son when he was young, same pattern different interlock fabric, one fitted great and the other one we couldn’t get over his head. Just a thought. Sherry

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas, everyone!
    I sewed a second pair a size up for my son (12 this time) and they fit much better. He just turned 10, so I guess this particular pattern runs small, or at least with a slimmer fit than he prefers. The cover picture shows a fairly slim fit but I just wasn’t expecting quasi-leggings! Size 10 length was good for him, so I’ll have to chop off a few inches of the size 12 for a hem. That’s easy enough.
    As to some other points that were made: I used cotton/poly terry fabric. It has a bit of stretch but not a ton (no spandex), and is quite appropriate for these pants. I cut with a rotary cutter and I’m certain the fabric didn’t slip so the pieces were accurate. My seam allowance was accurate, or at least accurate enough there is no way to account for the 6″ of extra length in the waistband. I still haven’t figured out how that happened (i checked the measurement many times over) but it’s not a big deal.
    I’m fairly new at sewing with knits, so I’m ok with messing things up from time to time. There is so much to learn!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@madtownmama it sounds like you did everything according to plan. I had fitting issues with the nature walk pants for my two older children. I did exactly like what you did, chose the right kind of fabric and made according to the measurements and pattern etc. They just didn’t turn out the way I had expected.

The parachute pants, I made for the baby and they fit great – my children are not average in size and so I was pleasantly surprised I could make track pants for her and have them fit. I used trackpant fabric (not french terry but similar, it has fluffy stuff on the “wrong” side). Unfortunately I cannot make the bigger size range to compare just yet as she is the only one of my three who still fit into the size ranges provided. It would be nice to compare the different sizing though. Each child is different though so it is important to keep measuring often to make sure you get the proper size and fit.

Having said that, i had my 14 month old wear her butterfly top I had made a few weeks ago, yesterday and my mother complained that it didn’t look as though it fit well under the arms. I told her she was dreaming as I had measured and made according to size.

Like I sadi each child is different….

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

@justsewit Hi Tamara! I made nature walk pants for my daughter last fall and found that in general they run a tad small. I made a practice pair in one size, and went up a size for the final pair. We were pretty happy with the fit in the end, but I was surprised at the fit.
    I don’t like fiddling a lot with sewing patterns for my kids because they’re going to grow out of everything so quickly anyway and you can’t always predict what they’ll wear (even when you ask for their input before making something). Still, I’m committed to making at least some of their clothes because I just don’t like what’s available to buy, I’m uncomfortable supporting the clothing industry, and thrift stores don’t have much for 8/10yo sizes. That’s it in a nutshell!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I completely understand and agree with you there Susan! I just love to see my kids wear what I make and I am very grateful for the knowledge that has been presented to us and how sewing is coming to the forefront again. It is very therapeutic! My daughter has even requested to take her machine back to boarding with her for next term, she misses it that much. They have three in the boarding house but it will help her to feel more at home by having her own there. Plus spark a resurgence I am sure!

So as a result of the busy week away, I still have piles of projects to finish. It is a slow process – one that we need to get onto everyday or else they are destined for the good sammies as “craft projects”😳 I do not cut projects for the good sammies, so there is no other alternative but to sew them up!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I feel a bit lonely, talking to myself….

I have a small pile of white based things I am working through today. Being the first chance of actually getting to the machine in weeks – this is most unusual!

White things consisting of, the pants part of a teaparty playsuit, a white dotted voile hide and seek tunic, two Briar t shirts (Megan Nielsen pattern) and possibly other things I may find along the way.

Don’t be shy! What are you sewing now?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Are the Briar tops for you or Imogen? I’ve been looking at the pattern and wondering if it would suit me (tall, short waisted, pear shaped) now I’m in the size range. Maybe made from a very drapey fabric.
    I made myself a Jalie polo top. I am very impressed with Jalie’s placket. Not the fantastic Oliver and S instructions, but I got a very nicely sitting placket that looks great despite my mistake of making it half the width it should be.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,806 through 5,820 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.