Oliver + S

What am I doing wrong on the yokes?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

So I am sewing this for the first time, and when I went to attach the front and back yokes to the main panel, they did not cover the stitching lines from the yoke facing, as they were supposed to. I ended up having to take out the basting and fold and press a 1/4 inch from the edge instead of a half inch, so that they would be long enough to cover the stitching line. I double-checked all my seam allowances, and they were a 1/2 inch. Anyone else have this problem? I have no idea what I did wrong.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Which size are you making?

I have made up several of theses tops in different sizes and have not had that happen.

Sometimes when the neck seam requires under stitching there can be some ”creeping”,that will use a little seam allowance.

When something like this happens with a pattern I make a note in pencil on my instructions. Next time I am reminded to look out for it and if it happens again,I know it is a peccadillo of the pattern,if not I didn’t quite have my seams/pieces correct.

Its a great pattern-an elegant peasant blouse.

Good luck and if you have any problems with the binding I did a little blog post on that.

Sorry not to be more help.

Nicole

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I have made it twice, size 7 and that didn’t happen to me. I had a hard time getting the seam allowance for the under arm seam even. I ended up trimming either the yoke or the facing.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Nicole, I am making the 18-24 month size lengthened to a 2T. I didn’t fiddle with the yokes at all, though, and I only lengthened the front panel down at the bottom, so it shouldn’t have affected the top of the main panel. I’ll make a note as you say, since I plan to sew this one over and over.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made that particular size so it may be an errata?

I am glad you will make it again,it is so jolly cute.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wish I could help but I am the most imprecise person ever. I fold by eye to make things fit, probably the only things I actually measure are pintucks. Hope your top works out!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I have made this size several times and haven’t had that issue. However, I had the issue recently with a pattern that I’ve made a gazillion times before. I think without realizing our stitching can shift ever-so-slightly. I’m glad you were able to correct it with a smaller seam allowance. Let us know if you’re still having a problem with the next one. And/or take a picture for us if you think that might help us offer you advice.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I’m working on this in Size 2T and have not had that problem. The one section I had to aggressively pin was the part where my stitch line was sort of wonky.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I’ve since made three more and have not had that problem. I must have cut wrong or something.

LINK
    little stitch @little stitch

Please someone tell me what a errata is. I’m a newbie trying to learn the lingo.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am not a newbie and I had NO idea!

It is simply a term for a printing mistake in the pattern. When you go to sew a pattern it is a good idea to check the forum topics to see if an errata has been found and listed.

The patterns in the shop have them listed at the bottom of the page for each pattern(if there are any).

I hope this helps.

~Nicole`~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m guessing it’s Latin? Errata, plural — erratum, singular? Like ‘error’ maybe. Don’t quote me, though! Nicole’s advice is solid, though. Checking the forums as well as the formal errata sheet is great because often others will have ideas for cool variations as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.