Oliver + S

Weekend getaway fabrics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I have some drapey but dense/heavyish (I think I remember it saying 4oz?) 100% cotton suiting. It is a JCrew fabric from fabricmart.com though, I don’t see it there today. I’m thinking about the weekend getaway dress, but noticed it calls for lighter fabrics. Opinions from those who know?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think ‘drape’ is the key word here.

I just made the blouse in a linen which would almost be classified as ‘bottom’ weight but it falls nicely and works really well!

I adore this pattern.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Agreed, I think drape is really key here. I’d be more inclined towards lightweight fabrics, silks, rayons, serious drape only. But you have the fabric in hand, so drape it across your own shoulders and see if you like the effect.

LINK
    mlinton @mlinton

I don’t have a lot of experience sewing fabrics beyond quilting cotton and twill. I’m a bit nervous about choosing a ‘drapey’ fabric because they seem tough to sew. Any advice on where to start?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

There are some lovely soft knits that are drapey but still have texture enough to grip and not be too slippery.

I find pins are your best friends when sewing a floaty fabric.

If you focus on cutting correctly and matching notches as you sew, as the garment gradually comes together it gets a bit easier.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Mlinton, when I first started sewing for myself I used faille alot. I found that like Nicole has just mentioned pinning more frequently that you would with cotton helped to make it behave. Also making sure it doesn’t drag or fall away from the sewing surface will also help you to sew it well. Don’t let it rest on your lap as it will make it go all over the place. If you can put the majority of your garment on a space next to the machine – place the machine on a table that is bigger. Just remember to guide and not pull – I had to learn the hard way. Make sure your needle is fresh and not too big – these tend to be finer fabrics so go a little smaller and it will work. I use an 80/12 and sometimes a 70/10.

Hope this is helpful and gives you a little more courage to take the plunge. It isn’t hard but you have to give it a go to find out.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Good point about avoiding drag on the fabric Tamara.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.