Oliver + S

Walking foot question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

Hi all.

I have recently splurged on a walking foot for a couple of projects including making some bags. I’ve been really impressed with how much straighter my stitching is and am contemplating leaving it on my machine instead of swapping back to my normal presser foot. Does anyone else do this or do I need to switch it back?

I also watched a YouTube video to check I installed it correctly and the presenter recommended stitching a few stitches at 0 for the start and end of my stitching. From what I’ve done so far it seems to be a nice, clean way of starting and finishing my stitching instead of back stitching. Is that technique also ok to use on my clothing projects?

I thought I’d ask to save any mishaps later šŸ™‚

Thanks in advance

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Yes you can leave it on your machine at all times šŸ™‚ I fact some machines come with one built in! If you’ve found a great way to start and end your stitching that works well go go ahead and use it šŸ™‚

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I notice that the screw loosens on mine due to all the vibration. Simple enough to fix. Mostly happens when I do a lot of quilting all in one go.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The walking foot isn’t just used for quilting. You can use it with fabrics that tend to slide, like laminates and denim. It has a steadying capability that allows the fabrics to stay put. It is also perfect for making multilayered garments like the vest in the school days jacket and even the jacket itself.

Enjoy! If it allows your stitching to be better then it can’t be bad.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I only use my regular straight stitching foot inside very small sleeves or other tight spots where the bulk of the walking foot gets in the way, or on hand embroidery where it will sometimes pluck at the threads of the embroidery and ruffle them.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I find mine a little bulky and awkward (and loud) for my everyday projects, but it’s definitely useful for slippery or bulky things. I think whatever gives you good results is a good optIon. Much of it depends on the machine and your preference. Starting with a few stitches at 0 is called lock stitching and a perfectly fine and acceptable alternative to back stitching. Better, in fact, when it’s a lighter fabric that might get sucked down. Did you know that couture doesn’t use back stitching? So it’s not a law or anything. šŸ™‚

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Melanie, what a great idea!

My machine is semi-industrial and a little ‘hungry’, often it will ‘eat’ a fine fabric when I use reverse.

I am going to try a smaller initial stitch and finish with one.

Thank you!

LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

Thanks for all the help. I’ll keep using the walking foot and the small stitches for a while and see how they go, I think I always overdo it on the back stitching so hopefully this will make my sewing a bit neater.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.