Oliver + S

Using knit/woven for the top

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    genomix @genomix

Guys, are there any sizing issues going between knit and woven on this top? I want to buy this today and just wanted to know if you guys had any observations about the difference in fit for the same size between knit and woven?

LINK
    housecall @housecall

I was just wondering the same thing. My 13 month old is swimming in the knit sailboat top I made her (6-12mo size) but the skirt I made in corduroy (same size) is getting too small fast. The knit I used was a jersey.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Sailboat was my first O+S pattern. I made a woven long-sleeved top in a 3T when my daughter was not quite 2. It didn’t even last six months – it was very small. http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/6919587191/in/set-72157632881185382/

I made a tank top version in knit out of the same size, and it was way too big until this past summer, when she was nearly 4. http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/6780109100/in/set-72157632881185382/

So yeah, I’d say you can get a lot more wear out of the pattern if you use knits after the wovens are outgrown!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

In my experience it was less an issue of how it fit once it was on than it was of getting into it. A slim-fitting woven will take a little shimmying into while the same size in a knit goes on more easily. Since you’re sewing to fit your kid, how it fits is really up to you.

LINK
    genomix @genomix

Ok…I guess my only concern is that since it is only sized up to 8, if I would be needing to go up several sizes in woven to use it – I am only buying it for use with woven fabric..

LINK
    genomix @genomix

no matter, I am getting it, regardless…..

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think I can help, how broad is his/her shoulders?

My Twin’s wore the size 8 until they were 12 (with a little arm length) but my 10 year old who is very skinny but had broader shoulders is struggling to get it on now.

Mind you, once it is on, it fits fine.

LINK
    genomix @genomix

actually, they are only 2 and 4 currently…and hopefully, they will be lean all their lives with relatively narrow shoulders. I had completely overlooked this pattern till someone on a sewing grp told me that it could be used with woven too…I have tried altering so many tunic patterns to achieve this exact look with very poor success. So I am sooper excited about this pattern and the fact that Liesl offers it as a single 🙂

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

The top is actually sized for woven fabrics, if I am not mistaken.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

The over the head nature of the sailboat top has prevented me from making it as is. Too much fighting and wiggling for my girl.

I sliced the back pieces up the middle and add 2 inches down the center where I cut it. Then I make a button placket and we slip it on like a button back dress. I sew the front yoke pieces together and sew the button on for the faux look.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

What about using a smaller seam allowance, that would give a little more room. I made one in woven and it was slightly tricky to get on and off on a wiggly baby, but it was one of my favorite shirts for her.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.