Oliver + S

trouble with ruffles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    sarah_in_detroit @sarah_in_detroit

Hi there, I’m putting together the Seashore Sundress and having trouble with the gathering stitches. Things seem to go fine until I get to the multiple layers of fabric where the pocket, pocket lining and front ruffle come together. I just keep breaking the thread and it doesn’t want to gather. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Sarah

I just read the instructions and it looks like you gather the pieces before sewing them together.

I have this pattern but haven’t yet made one. What is your stitch length? How many rows of gathering stitches are you doing?

I would try doing a slightly longer stitch length, say a 4 or 4.5 and do two rows to keep the gathers straight.

Are you pulling the bobbin thread only? It should be easier pulling this one than the top thread. Pull it gently and then spread the gathers. I like to work from both ends so that the gathers even out. Give this a try and you should have some success.

Hope this helps.

Tamara

LINK

Thanks Tamara. The instructions call for the pockets to be assembled at this point, so there’s no way to avoid stitching through the layers that I can see (I haven’t yet sewn it to the side panel, if that’s what you mean). I’m doing two rows, and I’ve got the stitch length at 4. Perhaps I should switch to a heavier-duty bobbin thread?

Thanks for your suggestions!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Sarah, what kind of fabric are you using? Could you gather from either side so that it just doesn’t gather where there are three layers of fabric? When I made one of mine from Pique cotton (pretty thick stuff) I didn’t have any gathers where the three layers meet, but there were enough gathers outside of that, and on the pocket front layer to make it work.

LINK
    mrsc1345 @mrsc1345

I just finished up 3 of these dresses, so I know it can be done! Although they were in quilting cottons and linen, the pocket gathering was a little tricky. If you have any heavy strength thread I would use that, if you haven’t already. I was able to just use my regular thread, and one line of basting stitches, ’cause I’m lazy like that. When gathering I always increase my tension so it does a bit of the natural gathers for me, and it would gather the outside edges but leave the whole pocket area flat. I then would very gently gather up the pocket one edge at a time, just as careful as I can be. I was able to get the pocket area to slightly gather enough to blend in with the dress, but it is not nearly as gathered as the rest of the skirt. But once the dress is finished I think the less gathered pocket area looks just fine, it even helps my little ones find the pockets, as they can be a little tricky for little hand to find in a mass of ruffles, At least for mine. Hope this helps, and you are able to make it work!

LINK

The heavier bobbin thread totally did the trick. Thanks so much for all the helpful advice, ladies!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Here is a photo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6357366807/in/photostream It looks fine with that bit un-gathered made up!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.