Oliver + S

Trouble with faux fly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    LaurieNL @LaurieNL

When cutting the shorts front pieces, I cut along the line curving from the waistband down to the dot, as indicated on the pattern. However I am now at step 3 under “assemble shorts” and seem to have an extra flap cut. I don’t understand how I can “press fly to shorts front and baste to waistband.”

Was it wrong to cut this line? Please help!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Laurie, I blogged the construction,maybe that can help. http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/this-is-not-best-shorts-pattern.html

Good luck.

~Nicole~

LINK
    LaurieNL @LaurieNL

Thanks very much for sharing this–it definitely helps!! I did not realize that internal lines on the pattern piece meant topstitching instead of cutting, but I know now! thanks again for your quick help!

Laurie

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My absolute pleasure!

This is a fantastic pattern,I have kept enlarging it for my son and he is nearly 15!

He would like proper jeans with a fly now. I am dreading making them….the Sketchbook ones were so quick to sew!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Nicole, have I told you how much that post makes me laugh with the Jack Black/Tenacious D references? lol

It’s a great post too but those just kill me!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thanks Jessica,sometimes I get a bit silly!

Have the buttons arrived?

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Yes, I meant to message you on Flickr, they arrived just today! Squiggles and all! 🙂 Thank you so much!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’m going to put my hand up and confess to a very daft mistake. I shall make an example of myself lest anyone else do it!

In sewing the crotch inseam, I pivoted at the dot and then followed the neatly transferred line from the pattern which heads, in a lovely curve, IN towards the pants, instead of out towards the extra flap bits.

I’ve done faux flys before, and I did think this was odd, but I followed the written instruction and didn’t think to refer to the picture. Obviously, one follows the raw edge of the fabric and creates a curve OUTWARD around the extra flap bit.

Off to find the seam ripper. Not that it’s ever far from reach!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.