Oliver + S

Transferring Marks- Right side of fabric

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hello,

I am doing the Garden Party and the first step requires you to transfer the sewing line to the front of the fabric, as well as some dots.

How do you all do it?

I can’t use my yellow or blue paper that I got here, with tracing wheel, since it is permanent.

What do you all use?

LINK
    buttonup @buttonup

I use a product called Frixion. It is a pen made by pilot that comes in many different colors. It will erase with friction or the heat of your iron. They are available at my local quilting store.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I use a tailors chalk pencil, you can mark away and it brushes or at least washes off.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

I use tailors tacks, or I have a “Chako Ace” Fine Marker – Violet, that disappears with water or fades away eventually. From my local quilting shop.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

**How** do you do it though? I cut the pattern on the sew line, laid half on the fabric right side up and traced the line. It felt inexact. And I have to put the piece back together or I will cut as 2 separate pieces in the future, and not enough for a seam allowance to fix the goof!

Also if any of you have sewn this, is there an errata on prepare the back step one? The pattern piece 6, the back, has no double notches, but a dot. The step says – match the double notches, but the pattern piece doesn’t have any?

What say you sewing mind hive?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have a tute for it but I don’t remember about the notches…..

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143878334960/

I tend to poke holes through the paper and the join them up.

*Off to see what I do, do*

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

On the errata part, never mind… Grumble grumble…. Going over to post in dumb stuff you did while sewing o+s. Sewed to wrong part! Question about how to transfer still remains…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It appears I marked with the fabric folded in half, if you scroll down my tute you can see ‘sort of’ what I did.

Sorry not to be more help.

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

For one or two dots (like to mark snap placement etc) I use a pin thru the pattern piece and mark it with tailors chalk or a mark-b-gone marker (I think I bought it from the O+S website) that washes out. But for tracing lines (like for the elastic casing on the roller skate tunic I’m finishing up), I use a blunt serrated tracing wheel (I have the cheapie one from Joann’s) and wax-free tracing paper that comes in a variety of colors. I can lay it down on the fabric, lay the pattern piece back down over top, and use the tracing wheel to trace the lines. It washes out so nothing is permanent. For delicate fabrics a smooth (non-serrated) wheel might be better. I don’t know, I’m just quoting what it said on the back of the packaging my new tracing wheel came in!

Anywho, I think that’s the easiest way to transfer long lines.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I like to use a hera for marking things like that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.