Oliver + S

topstitching on bodice necessary?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    corlee @corlee

i am working on this gorgeous dress and was wondering if i need to do the topstitching on the bodice over the shoulders. i’m using double gauze cotton and am would like to leave the shoulders clean. i’m guessing that the purpose of the topstitching is to prevent shift? if so, could i edgestitch around the neck and armsyce? thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I don’t think you have to stitch the seam on the shoulders if you are willing to press it back to shape.

I made these for a dear OS O+S chum and I hand stitched the seam in place http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/7087015835/in/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6941047922/in/photostream/

~Nicole~

LINK
    corlee @corlee

so the stitching is there to help maintain shape? i’m leaning towards not stitching – i really like the uninterrupted shoulder on this. having said that, your dresses are quite lovely!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It is a bit hard to say……but it can always be added later if you do find it is shifting.

I am sorry not to be more help.

~Nicole~

LINK
    corlee @corlee

nicole, you’re perfectly helpful! it’s so great to have these forums to have input. seriously, even a “i’m not sure” input is better than nothing. so thank you for being so helpful. the support found here in the forums help make the o+s patterns (in addition to the patterns being wonderful themselves) a true pleasure to sew.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Corlee,that is so sweet of you and it made my day!

The forum is great and I always try and check in before making an o+s pattern for ideas and tips.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m fairly certain you wouldn’t need them–they’re really more of a design detail to define the shoulder/armhole than to hold the two layers together. Just be sure to smooth and pin and you should be fine without the topstitching. Can’t wait to see!

LINK
    2preciousgirls @2preciousgirls

this is one of my favorite O+S patterns. i’ve made a handful of these in different sizes, and have always omitted the bodice topstitching. i actually like it better without it, and have never run into any problems.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

I like the ribbon detail, Nicole. Did you add it afterwards by hand or something? I might do this, I really like it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@Linda, I am pretty sure I added it afterwards…. I *think* I sewed the edges and the top but left the bottom free for movement.
    Those dresses went to Humble, Texas. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.