Oliver + S

To fussy cut — or not?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I am getting ready to cut a fabric with a fine black pattern on a very dark blue background:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemoglobinhummingbird/6006277712/sizes/z/in/photostream/

I lightened the photo a bit so you can see the pattern.

I’m making a Music Box jumper, and I know from experience that I won’t really be able to match the bodice to the skirt because of the pleat. I am wondering whether I should bother to try to match it up in places, and if so, how?

Some options I considered:

Deepening the pleat to match bodice to skirt?

Matching side seams of skirt?

Cutting bodice on bias?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it was me,I would match the side seams on the skirt and bodice. Centre the pattern on the bodice and adjust my front inverted pleat until I was happy with the look.

Only my suggestion,not a technical one.

Love the fabric,is it wool?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

It is — trying to get a bit of a head start on autumn. Thank you! I will try to implement your suggestion though I am not too sure my skills are up to it — I think the seam allowances confuse me.

But thank you for the reply 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Use the pattern on the fabric to guide you. As it is woven,it will be true.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

You know you’re taking your Oliver + S sewing a bit too seriously when, like me, you fussy cut the pockets on kid’s pyjamas. Who even needs pockets on their pyjamas anyway!

Sigh (still I couldn’t not do it)

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Oh my Sarvi, I haven’t even started sewing for summer yet. You are my hero.

I also thought bodice on the bias.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

So shameful, this is from last year — and I still haven’t cut into that fabric!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Sorry I rehashed this (and perhaps brought back unwanted memories) as I have a forum dread thing about starting a new post thread when I think an old one may cover the same topic. A bit of flat piping at the waistband of the music box jumper might be a good way to take the eye away from the lack of pattern matching. The side and back seams matching would matter much more.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, no worries — my eyes are bigger than my stomach when it comes to sewing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.