Oliver + S

Tips for using snaps instead of buttons

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I’m making this top for my (almost) 3 year-old and I don’t trust myself around the buttonhole presser foot for my machine. (It can get ugly ;-P )

I’m thinking about using snaps instead of buttons and was curious if anyone tried it and if so – did you reinforce the shoulders extra?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have in the past, and if you have a spare snap, I would do a trial run. Interface a scrap of the same fabric exactly as you would per pattern instructions. I don’t tend to use snaps as I find they can cause the knit to go to holes, but lots of people swear by them! Button holes are not so scarey, when I cut out I save a scrap of cloth and interface it and do a test button hole first. I don’t think you would need to interface any extra, your snap might fall off,

I hope this is some help.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Thanks! I’m not using knits and I interfaced the lining and it feels pretty stiff.

Although, the size 4 I painstakingly cut out (top, skirt and pants) turned out too small!! Waah! Now I have to start over. *sigh*

It turned out so cute, so sad I won’t get to use it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am sorry, got a bit confused!I thought you were using knit!!!

What a pity the outfit did not fit, someone will get a lovely present.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Yes – we have a little cousin who will probably receive it next year. So it’s not a waste of time. But still! So annoying.

Well, I have no trouble deciding what to do tonight after the kids are in bed. Trace patterns – again.

(Not complaining, I love my hobby.)

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

So do I , just feeding my baby and then I have four pairs of sailboat pants to make.

Don’t forget to put your outfit on flickr!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I wish that I read this thread before I clamped a snap on the bedtime story pajama top. I bought them because it said for children’s clothing but it’s too big and I think it will be uncomfortable to sleep on. I should have tried it on a scrap of fabric. Can anyone tell me how to remove a clamped on snap from one layer of flannel?

LINK
    runciblespoon @runciblespoon

I’ve found that snaps come off quite nicely if you (gently) poke the end of a screwdriver in between the fabric and the sap and then wiggle it a bit – keep doing it all the way around the edge and it should come apart without damaging your pyjamas. Having said that, maybe worth trying it out first to see if your little one is comfortable with it? I’ve used snaps on the back of dresses and my baby seems quite happy to sleep on them!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you I am going to remove them now. She is sleeping in the snaps and I was afraid that they would leave an indent in her ribs. The snaps are white hard plastic with domes about 3/8″. My second concern is how hard that they unsnap, I only have them on one layer of the flannel and I am afraid sharp tines will rip the fabric when they are pulled apart. I think I should have sewn on the metal snaps as they are flat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.