Oliver + S

Tea party dresses and busted buttons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    NikkiT @NikkiT

I’ve made two tea party dresses for my 2 year old that I just love, both with fabric-covered buttons. But my rough and tumble child seems to be constantly losing buttons on these dresses – practically every time she wears one. Then I need to make more fabric-covered buttons, which takes me forever, so the dresses end up piled on my sewing table.

I’m not sure if it’s my shoddy button-sewing technique or just that this dress is not meant for somersaults in the grass. Any suggestions? Maybe sewing the straps shut with fake buttons and adding a opening to get the dress on and off?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

This dress can most certainly be worn for tumbling in the grass, running through mud puddles or just having a tea party with your little girl’s stuffed pals. My daughter has worn several of these dresses over the years, and is nothing if not “rough and tumble”. I’ve had the issue of fabric covered buttons coming off (of this and other items), and I’ve just sewn them on again, albeit tighter and with heavier thread. Maybe use regular buttons for a while if you think it’s her play style that is tearing your pretty fabric covered ones off. I think adding an opening rather than using the buttonholes might be more extra work for you than sewing on another button.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have made lots of these with no problems, even my son wears the play suit and they are as rough and touble as you can get. Maybe you can use snaps instead if you are having problems with the buttons or like sayiamyou says maybe just use regular buttons?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think you will find it is the buttons, not the dress or the child.

I have a love hate relationship with self covered buttons BUT I do have a system that makes a much sturdier one.

Interface the fabric with double sided fusible interfacing (the stuff you use for appliqué), make the button up as per instructions.

Now, iron the button gently, this will melt the glue so that it sticks to the fabric and the button shell. For final strength and holding power, run a thin line of glue around the back of the button where the fabric meets the button shank (I use super glue).

Another tip, if you need 2, make 3, so you have a spare.

Good luck!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I try these tips next time I make buttons Nicole, thank you!

LINK
    NikkiT @NikkiT

These are great tips- thanks to everyone! I’m so glad to hear that it’s just me because I love the look of the dresses and want to make some more now that my daughter is outgrowing her current ones.

I will try some of these ideas for the next round. I like the idea of making a few spares covered buttons – much easier to do that ahead of time than to try and hunt down old fabric scraps when I am tired at the end of a day!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My absolute pleasure!

I love this pattern but only have one little girl in the sizing now.

However, it is my go-to baby gift and I noticed many of the recipients pop them over a Gro-suit.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

If I’m sewing shank buttons…I use heavy quilting thread or at the very least a doubled strand of normal thread.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

another button hint: when sewing on buttons for kids or husbands (lol) run a few strands of fishing line or nylon thread (so called invisible thread) through the holes or shank after using your regular color matched thread. It will add staying power. Also if the shank is metal, there may be a snag or two lurking which would cut through the regular thread. And, toss a small circle of interfacing behind that button (on the back side of the fabric) when you are attaching it to help prevent the hole that may happen when stress is applied to the button.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have some of that thread, MC popped it in a care package, thank you Brenda. Hugo is forever breaking his middle shirt button off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.