Oliver + S

snap tape

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    EmilyG @EmilyG

I know there has been discussion about snaps but I am wondering if anyone has tried snap tape for the crotch closure. Some of my older (1980’s) infant patterns call for snap tape and I wanted to know if anyone has tried it with success. (I am asking this having not bought the pattern – it’s the snaps that are holding me back).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Emily, in the past, I would have rather slammed my fingers in a car door then use press studs/snappers/poppers etc, BUT the ones from O+S are awesome. If you purchase the pink holder thingy they are literally fool proof!

I have used the sew in tape, its okay but its best to use a zipper foot so you can stitch close enough. The plastic one can melt if you touch it with an iron or dry it too close to the heater (whistles nonchalantly)

AND you don’t have to do snaps. I did buttons on the blouse and you could on the other pieces too.

Seriously, the snap setter makes it so easy!

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I second the recommendation for the SnapSetter tool O+S sells – it works SO well! I’d originally bought a snap-setting plier tool set from my local fabric store but after ruining 3 sets of studs and nearly ruining the bodysuit I was working on, I was ready to chuck the whole thing, layette pattern included. I was seriously near tears, I was so frustrated. My mum had the SnapSetter tool and recommended I give it a try – it worked so easily and flawlessly that the layette is now my favorite O+S pattern. I’d heartily encourage you to give it a try! 🙂

LINK
    EmilyG @EmilyG

I’ll give the recommended one a go. I have a heavy duty snap press that I have used for making nappies but I am not a fan of it. I guess that is where my fear of snaps come from!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have a heavy duty snap press like many people use for nappies and I have used it very successfully to put snaps in lots of Oliver and S clothing. I haven’t made the lullaby yet but I have used it to put size 20 snaps in the crotch of the Tea Party playsuit.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Heidi, are they the snaps in the sweet little 2+2 you kindly sent Tildy?

The ones from O+S are flatter and more suitable for infant clothing. 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ll ditto vothgirl, I’ve used the plier type snap setter and didn’t like it much. The O+S one (meaning, the one sold here) is much nicer and I agree with Nicole, the snaps are more baby-friendly, not so bulky like the heavy duty snaps I’ve seen.

LINK

Yes they would be as they are the only ones I have. How well or not well have they worked? The feedback would be useful 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

They are certainly very sturdy and don’t work loose but are perhaps a little thick for back buttons.

Tildy adored her blouse and felt very special in it but she was not keen to wear it in the car, I think the poppers may have been a bit thick for her tiny wee spine.

I can imagine them very handy for outer layers or nappy covers.

It was terribly kind of you to send it to her, both she and Liddy were delighted.

LINK

Thanks for the feedback Nicole, I’ll bear that in mind for next time I make something that buttons all the way down the back. I just bought some MOP buttons on clearance at Spotlight last week and I think they would be great, I did think of you when I was buying them 🙂

LINK
    Anonymous @

EmilyG – When I first started sewing for littles, I used snap tape a lot. It works just fine. You will want to sew it on with a zipper foot like Nicole said.

I also agree with Nicole on the Snap Setter. I got mine many years ago before Liesl was selling them and it works great! I had snapaphobia until I got it. Now I’ll put on snaps when I’m too lazy to make buttonholes. When I started making cloth diapers for my kids, I bought a snap press. I love it, but still occasionally use my SnapSetter for some things. I always use the Snap Source snaps (the same brand Liesl sells) even in my press. They are great snaps and hold up very well.

LINK
    EmilyG @EmilyG

Good to know about the snap press. I hadn’t even considered bulk. I ordered the snapsetter and snaps (just waiting for it to arrive). I’ll reserve the snap press for nappies only and even then we aren’t the best of friends.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.