Oliver + S

sleeveless version Book report dress?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Ingrid @Ingrid

Hello,
    I am currently brainstorming on how to make a sleeveless version of the book report dress. Of course I can use a simple bias strip to finish the arms after sewing the side seams, but with the double tissue of the front and back yokes I am afraid this will become thick and stiff. I am thinking of some kind of side way burrito method, and then slip the back dress panel into the back yoke seam allowance, after finishing the arm openings of the dress part with a bias tape. However, I can’t wrap my head around how to do this at the front, and have a neat finish both seen from the front as well as from the shoulder sideways. Anyone having experience in a sleeveless version of the bookreport dress, or knows how to solve this?

thanks!
    Ingrid

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Ingrid.
    LINK
    Elizabeth @Ekmcnally

I’ve never made this pattern before, but this link might help/give you some ideas-
    lemon drop dress
    Kristin made a couple alterations to the pattern, including making it sleeveless.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Can you finish the bottom part of the armhole as a unit (either bias bound or facing) before sewing to the front and back yoke? Kind of how you would do the BB dress with a partial cap or flutter sleeve, or the Butterfly blouse. Then the front yoke would be self-finished and lay over.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

How about the same way as the Fairy Tale dress is sewn?

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/a-christmas-fairy-tale-tutorial-part-i.html?showComment=1358649417151

I have a few photos here that may help.

PS I have not sewn the Library dress *yet*

LINK
    Ingrid @Ingrid

Hi all,
    thanks for your inputs!
    Indeed I can finally opt for a bias binding but I like the construction of the yokes so I am still thinking of how to use this. The option from Reeni is definitely ok for the back which has an outside and inside yoke, however the from part is made of the frontpart of the dress and a yoke, so here I need to figure out a way to extend the armhole part of the frontdress so it can be sewn into the yoke part.
    Because summer is always hot here in south of France, I tend to keep the dresses as light as possible and avoid any double fabric layers on the body, otherwise your tip is great Nicole!

I continue to brainstorm about this, will let you know if I manage!

thanks,
    Ingrid

LINK
    Ingrid @Ingrid

Hi, for those interested I Just wanted to let you know I managed to make a nicely finished sleeveless version! I cut the front bodice in 2 following the yoke line and added seam margin. I sewed the side arms,shoulders and neck, and folded back the seam allowance. I did the same for the back using the yokes. I finished the side arms of the bodices with bias and slipped this into the yoke with edgestitching. I added a full width skirt with pleats. I am quite happy, and so is my daughter!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.