Oliver + S

Sketchbook shirt a little short?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have just constructed the sketchbook shirt in size 12 and it is very short. I had a look back at the Oliver+s blog and noticed the back finished longer than the sleeves, however, on mine, the sleeves are a lot longer. I have checked my pattern several times and the back pattern does seem short. Is it just me? The pattern is gorgeous, and the shorts fit perfectly. It will not stop me making it again, I love it, but I will have to lengthen it by at least 4 inches.(The shoulders fit beautifully).

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

This is really helpful information, and thank you so much for letting us know! Since 10 and 12 are new sizes for us, I’ll be sure to take your feedback into consideration for future styles and as I make adjustments to our grade rules. I agree that in your photos the shirt looks short. I’d be curious how the length compares to his other shirts in the same size? Thanks again for the feedback.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thankyou Liesl, I did not want to hurt your feelings! I have measured up his current shirt ( kwiksew 2974) size 12. O+S sleeve is 1/4 ” longer ( which is good), shoulder seam to neckseam is 3/4 inch shorter, across the back yoke it is 2 1/2 ” narrower and the yoke to hem is 4 1/2 ” shorter. My son is not big for his age, but I will lengthen the O+S shirt possibly by 5 1/2 ” , so it will tuck nicely. I love this O+S shirt pattern, however I would recommend to size up by one size. I hope this is helpful, thankyou again for such lovely patterns.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have finally redrafted this shirt for my son and will be sewing it tonight.

I added length to the front , back and sleeves and will be constructing it in a stretchy cotton/spandex mens shirting.

Wish me luck!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Liesl, I thought I would show you the finished shirt, I added length to the sleeves, back and front. I did not touch the width, that is perfect. http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4773996320/in/pool-oliverands

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Hi all- just wondering if any change to the pattern grading could be put on the errata page for this shirt, I am working on some larger sketchbook shirts for my oldest and had trouble with the first one (size 7) being too short at the waist as well, I couldn’t tuck it in, even though he was at the beginning of the size range? I would love to know how much longer to make it, even if it is just, add 1 inch for size 8, 2 inches for size 10, etc!

Also I was wondering if the larger sizes are “fit tested” on kids of both sexes, thinking about motherof5’s comment about the tightness of the bum of the nature walk pants…I imagine that by size 10-12 kids are a little different shape depending on if they are a boy or girl, or at least wear their pants at a different snugness? Thanks Katja

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I redrafted this lovely shirt again today,the width is perfect,but I added 9′ to the body length(from original pattern) and spliced and lengthened the sleeve by 2′.

My son is 13,but not big for his age.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.