Oliver + S

Sketchbook collar size

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Gary @gary@boren.com

I am doing the size 12 shirt with the full collar. It seems to me that the collar is about 2 inches too long. Am I doing something wrong? After I turn it (with a 1/2 inch seam allowance) I have a collar that is about 15 inches long measured allong the “collar stand” portion. My neck is only about 12 inches which it should be. I know about the error in marking the sizes of the yoke and I am sure I used the real size 12 yoke. What am I missing?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Gary,I have made this shirt several times and I know if I don’t get the shoulders seams just right I end up with too much collar. A few mm here and there add up.

When this has happened,I re-cut the collar ends to the pattern shape(ie cut a large seam allowance to get it to fit).

Clipping the neck line to the basting will give some ease as well.

I also worked out a little trick with the collar interfacing to give a better stand and collar if you are interested? http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4945203060/in/set-72157625309800074

Good luck,please get back to the forum if you need any more help.

LINK
    Gary @gary@boren.com

I am still scratching my head. This was actually almost two inches off! What I ended up doing was cut about 3/8 inch off the neck hole edge. If you do the math, this adds almost two inches to length from placket to placket. This shirt is for a niece of mine so I hope it fits! to my eye, it looks fine.

Thanks for your advice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.