Oliver + S

Sizing Book Report for knits

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of MaggieMaggie @Maggie

I have a knit I want to turn into a BR dress. would you size down? I made it in corduroy last week and the fit is great (except for arm length is a bit short).

Since knit stretches, I was wondering whether one size smaller with added length would be wise.

LINK
    Profile photo of TamaraTamara @justsewit

I would say it depends on how the recovery and stretch is on the knit you have chosen. I have made the 12 in a woven and it was just right on my daughter but would be roomy but not huge if I made it in a knit.

I know Nicole has made one for her daughter in knit so hopefully she can tell you how the fit goes and which knit she used etc.

LINK
    Profile photo of Lightning McStitchLightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I can offer the almost useless observation that I made one in knit and it fit perfectly. However I didn’t measure the kid or make one in a woven first! I just made a size 2 as every other Oliver+S seems to fit in that size. The knit I used was a fairly heavyweight, stable knit. If you used a lighterweight, stretchier knit I don’t think sizing would be as much of a problem as sagginess where the pockets and lower panel attach. There could be too much weight in the bottom half for a thin, stretchy top half to handle.

LINK
    Profile photo of NicoleNicole @motherof5

I would probably go with the same size as the knit would be more for comfort of wear?

Does that make sense?

I used a very stretchy knit for the body but a more stable one for the yokes. All a similar weight.

The use was more of a design choice then a fabric choice.

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/a-big-book-report.html

It has proved a very popular dress.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2016. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.