Oliver + S

sizing advice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    carrotflowers @carrotflowers

I was going to email oliver + s but thought the answer might help others so I’ll ask here. I measured my nephew intending to make him the sailboat pants. His waist and his outseam are 22″. However the pattern’s sizing chart gives the ‘extended waist’ measurement, and also I know the pants are a wee cropped. He is 4 years old and slender. I believe that from shoulder to ankle he’s 3 feet so overall maybe 3.5 feet tall. Is the size 4 or 5 recommended? In either case I intend to extend the length anyway so they can be worn in the winter.

Thanks!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I recommend the size 4 and lengthening. That’s what I did for my daughter. Just be sure to lengthen by splicing the pattern and adding a section rather than just adding length at the hem.

LINK

Thanks for the advice – so she was similar in measurement? I did plan to splice and lengthen – where did you make the separation?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I spliced above the notches. My daughter has always been slender in the sizing, and having made these before, the size 4 was a much better fit around the waist and crotch seam.

LINK

Do you mean the notches near the top of the pant that are a couple inches apart?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

No – more towards the bottom as I recall.

LINK

I found it and finally made the pants! thanks for your help, it went smoothly 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

If the pants I made are too loose in the waist, is there any reason I couldn’t go back and move the buttons + shorten the elastic? That won’t make them somehow explode into flames or anything?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thats what I would do, especially if nappies are involved.

( I had visions of you surreptitiously moving buttons and then shrieking as they went up )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.