Oliver + S

Short-sleeved field trip raglan?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Jo sews @Jo sews

Hi,

I’d like to make a short-sleeved field-trip raglan tee but have no idea how long they should be from the underarm (or how much I should shorten from the full length – it comes to the same thing obviously!) Also, would I need to reduce the sleeve width as well, or does that stay the same??

Any replies would be very welcome! I really don’t want to end up with it having funny-looking sleeves…

Thank you!

Jo

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/swim.html

I made one for my daughter as a rash vest and (from memory) I cut it to the length she requested.

I don’t think I added any extra width… the stretch seems to take care of that.

I hope that is a little help.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Any length you like is the answer! If you have a favourite T- shirt to hand then measure from the underarm seam to the hem to judge where to cut yours. If you measure from the underarm then it doesn’t matter if you’re comparing a set in sleeve to a raglan sleeve.

For a traditional boyish sleeve you’d cut straight across at this point. Or you can curve in towards the sleeve slightly. I’ve made a short sleeve dress for my daughter using this pattern where the hem of the sleeve was pretty much on top of the underarm seam and the sleeve had a fair scoop into it. For my son, about 2-4 inches from the underarm and straighter across.

You can always cut it a bit longer and then trim to fit once you’ve sewn it up.

have fun with it!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve made a couple of these, I think I used another shirt pattern to get the length of the sleeves. I also added ribbing cuffs to two of them and prefer that look to the basic turned back sleeve finish. Here’s one I made in size 12.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/11746431214/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.