Oliver + S

shopping for kids clothes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I had some time on my hands at the shops yesterday so I wandered through Gymboree and Children’s Place – my two (former) favorite shops for kids clothes. I was shocked at how cheaply made and boring the clothes appeared to me! I didn’t see a single item that I would want to buy. I think Liesl’s patterns have really ruined me for buying store bought clothing!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, this happened to me too! Did you think, “I could make this way better, from nicer materials?”

LINK
    icicle @icicle

Now if only I could feel that way about Tea and Mini Boden! Or shoes… why can’t I make cute shoes?

(–actually, I just bought some Gymboree pants, super cheap, because they make slim pants that’ll fit my skinny kid and I don’t care if she wears them, hard, on the playground at preschool. Gymboree has it’s purposes… )

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

As does Children’s Place. I have no desire to make leggings. I know exactly what you mean though. While I was in there the other day I just kept saying to myself, ‘I could make something like this!’ I have only bought one shirt (had husband’s college logo on it) and skirt combo for my daughter this season. I’m shockingly bored and underwhelmed too.

LINK
    ckcsbella @ckcsbella

I went into the Children’s Place the other day and saw a skirt DD#2 LOVED. When I looked closely at it, I said to myself: Oh, it’s a Swingset skirt with a self-fabric applique flower. I could do that! So, ladies, where do I find a tutorial to do fabric rosettes?

I have been trying to imitate higher end clothes lately. DD#2 also fell in love with a silk dress in the window of a french children’s shop. I made her a silk Bubble dress that’s very similar. I love it when my children look way more expensive than they really are!

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

Icicle, I’m right there with you in regards to Mini Boden and Tea. Until I feel confident about sewing with knits, I’ll have a need for both. Although, I did notice a slight quality blip at Boden this season that I’ll just chalk up to a sign of the times.

As my kids get taller and their width pretty much stays the same, I find that most ready made clothes do not fit my kiddos. Those button elastic waists help but how much can you actually cinch without it looking ridiculous! My oldest who is 10 needs size 10 for length at Mini Boden but her waist measures a size 6!! We’d be clothes-less without Oliver + S!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Yes, Sarvi – that’s exactly what I thought! The ready made clothes all look the same to me, too. Nothing really stands out as special, at least the ones that I used to buy. I can’t afford Mini Boden but they are really cute. Same with Tea. Very nice style, although I’ve never owned any. I usually shop the clearance rack in the Gymboree outlet! LOL!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I’ve hardly been near a kids’ clothes shop for months now – only to get absolute basics like plain tshirts and leggings šŸ™‚ – & even when I was at a handmade kids clothes market recently, I just kept thinking ‘I can make that!’ :)Everything is really ‘ho hum’ and the only thing that makes me look at something is the fabric!

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

Oh, I can’t afford to buy anything from anywhere at full price. šŸ˜‰ I’m a bargain hunter. Mini Boden has excellent end-of-season sales. I just got a wool duffle coat 1/2 off for $44!! That made me feel only slightly better that I didn’t use the O+S school days pattern. LOL Could I buy fabric for that price? Sahmcolorado, I’m still coveting the pink school days coat you made for Claire!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Loralee, I was determined to make my daughter’s winter coat, but I price shopped for comparison after the fact. The total cost for making hers (a 2T) was about $50. And I used a wool/cashmere, which I found to be much more pricey than other wool. That was comparable to prices I was seeing online and totally worth it when I see her in it. I think the lesser price I saw was $35 at old navy, but the uniqueness of hers totally made up for the extra $15! If you have the time to invest in making one, go for it!

I’m a total ‘bargain bin’ shopper too. I’d rather spend my money on fabrics. šŸ™‚

LINK
    janimal @janimal

One thing I think I will be buying RTW for a long time is pajamas. I do have the bedtime story pjs pattern, and will make some of those for my daughter, but mostly she wears Hanna Anderson cotton pjs. They are soft, fit well, and she is able to wear them longer than other brand RTW pajamas.

Also, I can’t knit, so I’ll be buying sweaters and other warm things for her. I really want to find some good Etsy shops for some sweet knitted items for her. If it’s not handmade by me, it would be nice to be handmade by someone! Bit pricey though…

Unfortunately, I don’t have the sewing time to make ALL of DD’s clothes. So her wardrobe will continue to be a mix. But I am thinking that I might be able to make ALL her Spring and Summer clothes. I’m working on sundresses and skirts for her now, so when the weather warms up she should be good to go!

LINK
    Anonymous @

I’m with you, janimal. I don’t have the time or energy to sew/knit all of the kids’ clothes so I’ll still be buying. It’s just amazing to me how much I used to love those clothes and now they are just boring. I buy 90% of RTW used. Can’t get excited about paying for new. LOL

LINK
    mela @mela

I have so much fun making ELV’s clothes myself. I am often inspired by RTW and find a way to make it with my own spin (most often for less). Plus, I love putting together the right pattern with the perfect fabric (and shopping for that fabric!!). In fact, I have found many rtw are easy to replicate in terms of the pattern – especially mini boden, they seem to be pretty similar to children’s patterns out there now. Most often they are most unique for their fabrics. I love to look at the construction of RTW clothes to see what I can adapt or improve upon for my own version. (I have been given a few weird looks by sales people when I spend more time looking at the inside of the clothes than the right side.) What I don’t make myself I mostly find used. however, I am unfortunately not immune to Baby Gap. Their sweaters and shoes are too fun, and they have sales so often it puts them within my reach. aye!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Ah – Baby Gap – deadly!!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

hehehehe – I adore Baby Gap!!!! I do find that their clothes are beautifully made (yes, I know Naomi Klein/No Logo would say sweat shop šŸ™ )First shop I visit if there’s one where I am! Luckily (unluckily?!) for me, the first Gap store in Sydney only opened about 1 month ago & I still haven’t managed to get into town!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.