Oliver + S

shopping for kids clothes

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • LINK
    cherry @cherry

Me too! I used to love going shopping so much, and really liked buying the kids gorgeous things (usually waiting for the sales though!). Since getting back into sewing with the o&s patterns I have barely set foot inside a shopping centre, and only really buy tshirts/leggings (super cheap ones on sale), plus some things like cardigans that I can’t make. I have really gotten into the whole handmade thing, so I try to buy hand knitted cardigans for them rather than from chain stores etc.

I too look at clothes and stop myself from buying them as I know I could make something better that costs less, but at the moment the issue is not finding the time to do that! I really really need to make some shorts for both kids as it is getting hotter here and I don’t want to have to buy some.

One thing I won’t stop buying is vintage dresses for Evie. I love them and their aesthetic and they give me as much pleasure as making them myself…

Cherry

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I started to think like that when I learned how to knit. And when we started renovating houses – but what it’s taken me too long to realize is that although I could do most things better myself, I simply don’t have the time. Also, if I decided that everything in my childrens’ wardrobes (and mine) were handmade, I might not enjoy making them so much.

Children’s Place is dirt cheap, and I wouldn’t expect stuff from there to be of high quality, but you can count on them to sell mittens in the winter and to always have basic dress shirts in stock. Gymboree I’ve started using much more lately for my boys. Their clothes seem to hold up well, which is a small miracle with my boys! I have also found that Lands End holds up for my boys. My oldest puts holes in just about every pair of paints he gets, so if the Lands End ones can make it to boy#2, it’s worth it.

The boys are so hard on their clothes that I only make them clothes for special occasions when I can oversee them wearing it. And I have knitted them more sweaters than sewn them things, because they are hardest on pants. I also don’t think I’d ever sew the boys dress shirts. It just seems like an awful lot of work for so little reward and they’re cheap to buy in the store. I’d love to do a tie or special think like that. I did sew my oldest a school days coat in wool when Lisel taught a workshop in my area this past January. That was as much about taking the workshop as making the coat. I was happy there was a workshop that I could do something for boys.

Now that I have a girl, I can imagine sewing just about everything and anything for her! Dresses are fun, easy and last a long time. Plus, just there’s so much room to make them interesting. You can’t do that with boy clothes. I do like the look of the new boy (well, unisex but would you really make it for a girl?) naturewalk pattern. It has the look of a rugby shirt, which I love. That I plan to make for my boys and probably the sandbox pants and coat again. But I know I’ll never do the sketchbook shirt.

The biggest problem with sewing is finding fabric. Unless you live in NYC, I can’t imagine being able to find fabric as nice as they have in the stores. I’m pretty limited to JoAnn or quilting shops, so it’s very difficult to come by nice quality appareal fabric – and I live in a big city, too! But Fabric Row isn’t what it used to be.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

meleliza, have you checked into any online resources? Even though I live near a branch of Mood, a pretty awesome fabric shop, I still use good ole fabric.com quite a bit. If you keep an eye out for sales, check for coupon codes, and can make a somewhat more limited color selection work, you can get some great stuff, and shipping’s free after a certain dollar amount. I’ve paid around $3-5/yard for Kaffe Fassett shot cottons, some of my favorite French General fabrics, etc. If you’re making a more special garment and are able to spend a little more, they often have special one-time deals. I bought some very pretty checkered silk for $8/yard although I haven’t seen it again since, alas. You can get a swatch for 75 cents, I think, if you’re not confident about the quality.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Meleliza, the nature walk can definitely be made up for a girl. I, and a couple others, have done it. It suits both genders nicely.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, I have looked at Fabric.com but haven’t ordered from them yet. But I still can’t find fabric there that’s as nice as good stores can get. Their factories in China or Singapore or wherever have a larger selection. For example, I just bought baby the most beautiful outfit from Janie & jack on their black Friday sale. A blouse of cotton that feels like silk with elegant pink roses and matching blue velveteen pants. That’s just not the kind of fabric you can find at stores. In fact, my mom bought her Christmas dress from Janie and Jack. I had wanted to sew her first dress and spent the entire summer shopping for fabric but simply couldn’t find something quite nice enough. Then I ran out of time to do it. But I am thinking of doing her an Easter dress in Liberty, though that seems a little extravagant, doesn’t it?

LINK
    Anonymous @

I am so lucky to have a new sewing store here that carries some very beautiful fine cotton fabrics intended for heirloom sewing. It is soft as silk!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I guess at that point, meleliza, you have to decide for yourself. For me, personally, the cost is worth it, especially for special occasions, because my daughter isn’t wearing a dress that another child in her class (if she were in school) has. I enjoy spending a little more and having her in something unique and hand-made by me.

LINK
    janimal @janimal

I don’t think it’s extravagant at all. Liberty is expensive, but you don’t need lots of yardage for a child’s dress. Let’s say you used 2 yards of Liberty – for about $60 you would have a one of a kind, handmade, high quality dress. You certainly couldn’t buy a dress like that for $60!

Course I am biased. My little girl has her school holiday program today and she is wearing a Music Box Dress I made using Liberty fabric!

Personally I find sewing with Liberty to be a special treat. So perhaps think of it not just as an extravagance for your daughter, but also a gift to yourself.

LINK
    mela @mela

I am totally with janimal! Sewing something for by baby in a fine fabric like liberty is really a special treat for myself. I have SO much fun picking the fabric, and thinking of the perfect pattern for it, and finding the perfect notions… she gets to wear it, but for me the most fun is in putting it together and seeing her wear it! go for it! Imagine finding it years from now when she’s an adult! So fun!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

So funny, I think I have the same Janie & Jack blouse! Didn’t see the coordinating bottoms, though? If you think you can’t find fabric of that quality online, then you haven’t seen Marie-Michelle’s blog 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.