Oliver + S

Sewing with Velvet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

I have a music box jumber cut in velvet. I thought using a Bemburg rayon for the bodice lining would be good to reduce bulk, but I’m having a terrible time sewing it (attaching the rayon lining to the velvet bodice). The lining is slipping and puckering no matter how much I pin and baste. Should I give up and use something different for the lining? I’m afraid to use a walking foot for fear it will mark and crush the velvet.

This isn’t the first time I’ve sewn with velvet, but I don’t remember having this much trouble with it before.

Any tips or suggestions on working with velvet? Anyone know of any articles or accurate information online?

Hollie

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Are you using the super lush velvet with the really thick pile?

I made Hugo some bloomers once with that and ended up sewing them completely by hand as it was so slippery.

I used a small running stitch and then sewed back over it.

How would a flannel or light quilting cotton go? (for lining)

PS,I still have a metre left of it that I have not used-14 years later.

PPS I found this http://www.emmaonesock.com/guides/velvet.asp and may be brave enough to try again.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Nicole,

The pile is very plush and thick. I thought is was so pretty, I didn’t even think about how difficult it would be to sew. I sewed it by hand, and it looks a little better- but not much. I’m going to cut out a new bodice and try a different lining today if i get a chance between other obiligations.

I tried using my walking foot and got great results, but it did mark the velvet in a few places. Not super noticable, but it did make me wonder about how it will wear. I’m sure my 5 year old won’t be cautious while wearing it.

That link was very helpful. Thanks for sharing! I’ll keep at it!

Hollie

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Hollie, I made a little velveteen coat recently and had a devil of a time with it. It was very slippery, as you describe, so I ended up using lots of pins, hand basting and a walking foot! If you do end up hand stitching the seams, I recommend a back stitch. This is the strongest stitch and how couture garments were assembled in the days when they did everything by hand.

I also had a LOT of trouble with fraying, though I may have gotten a particularly delicate velveteen. Next time, I plan to find a serger and finish every edge before I even start sewing.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Meleliza, thanks so much! Great tips. My jumper is still in the same state it was 2 days ago. Maybe when the kids get back to school it won’t be left neglected.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.