Oliver + S

Sewing with Liberty

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am often asked where I find my Liberty.

I purchase big pieces from eBay but I also have a bag like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Liberty-of-London-Tana-Lawn-Fabric-80-g-Scrap-Pack-/151284982323?pt=AU_Quilting&hash=item233949a233&_uhb=1 that I have been using for nearly 20 years, for trims.

When I saw this one I had to share.

Lots of trimming here!

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Oh…I need to keep a lookout for a bag like that! I last bought liberty yardage from http://www.shaukat.co.uk. If you are ordering several lengths even with shipping it works out cheaper than anyplace else I’ve seen in the states.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I use shaukat too, but my Dad loves to visit Liberty while he’s in London to buy some fabric so that I can make something for my daughter. He has massive ‘first grandchild’ syndrome, which is lovely, and is keeping me in beautiful fabric. Anyway, I’m digressing, I spotted this today:-

http://www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/categorylist/dept/fabrics_chambray

How have I never known that I could get Liberty Chambray?? This has got by sew jo going, would this work for a layette jacket and trews, maybe with a floral top, to go completely over the top with the Liberty-ness?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wow, I didn’t know either! Man, that hits my sweet spot!

LINK
    knitbunnie @knitbunnie

I need some suggestions for Tana Lawn. I scored (and I mean SCORED) some on eBay. I have a 2 yard piece and a 1 1/2 yard piece of Oscar C, a paisley print. Three and a half yards total, for $40!!! Yes, it was a miracle. Here’s a link to a picture – http://www.colourfulbeautifulthings.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Oscar-C.jpg?d6dd84

I want to make something beautiful for one of my daughters. She’s 34 years old, pregnant, lives in San Francisco, and is a lawyer in an office with a fairly dressy dress code – no denim or open-toed shoes, and all things must have sleeves or be worn with a jacket or cardigan. If anyone has suggestions, I would love some ideas for patterns. She’s a size 6-8, so most things look reasonably good on her.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is very pretty.

How far along is she? I am 27 weeks and I am planning to make this http://oliverands.com/liesl-and-co-patterns/OLV-LC004LL-D.html for myself next.

LINK
    knitbunnie @knitbunnie

Nicole – that’s very pretty. She’s due Nov. 28th. This is her second, so she went into maternity clothes much more quickly this time. Do you think that would work if I lengthened it and made it into a dress?

LINK
    knitbunnie @knitbunnie

I looked at the Oliver & S pattern again. I really, really like the one that’s made in a stripe. Maybe i’ll make a shirt in a striped fabric and see if she’d like it in a dress. Question on sewing with Tana Lawn. It doesn’t seem to be as sheer as I thought it would be Do you suggest underlining it?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Well, this is number 6 for me and I am due in September. 🙂

I was thinking the Empire line would work over a belly, I may add a little more to the centre panel and gather it in.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as a dress, it just may end up quite full, a long tunic would be lovely and the stripes would be very flattering.

As for underlining, you could, which would give it more body, but I have not in the past and I wouldn’t if I was sewing it for me.

If I needed warmth I would add a spencer.

I am quite excited to see your version now.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I am wearing my late lunch tunic at the moment and even though my bump is tiny compared to some (because I am only 12 weeks along), I find this top to be very comfortable. I think the print you chose would be very pretty for a maternity top. I used stretch sateen so it has a bit of stretch in it not to mention I am not a 6-8 and had to size up but the skirt seems to have heaps of room. This top will definitely not see me through to the ninth month because it will be our summer by then and I will be after something cooler, however, it could very well possibly come very close to it if the weather didn’t get warm.

I would add width but not too much. It all depends on how big she will get – I sort of go on the previous pregnancies to gauge how much to add and that gives me a fair idea.

As for lengthening it to a dress, I think it would be superb! I was thinking the same thing myself and heaven knows we pregnant ladies are just as entitled to pretty dresses and our non pregnant counterparts.

I say go for it and it makes me very excited to see your version too.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Plush Addict, a UK based online fabric store is selling some tana lawns, which are Liberty Lawns but are not the ‘A’ grade rolls sold in store at £15 per metre-ish. A great deal if you are not put off by any slight flaws. With a busy pattern they probably wouldn’t be noticeable. It is all above board/legal and is not ‘knock off’ fabric (I have asked!).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@dubhels2003, do you have a link?
    I wonder if it is the place mine comes from. I buy ‘seconds’ for the children’s sewing and the flaws are negligible.

Thank you!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I just bought some for full price but more locally. I figured it would save because of exchange rates but I wish I could have gone personally to get it and then would have saved the postage too.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Here is the link http://www.plushaddict.co.uk/dress-fabric/cotton-lawn-fabric.html They have only just started stocking it online. I’ve managed to pick up some bits in store at several places, but not online yet, other than ebay!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.