Oliver + S

Sewing with Knits

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am so excited about the new t-shirt patterns.

Do you have any knit tips?

I found this one and wanted to share. http://www.mesewcrazy.com/2012/05/end-knit-wavy-seam-syndrome.html

Please add yours, links or descriptions.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I feel very strongly about wonky necklines.

In truth, I feel very strongly about sewing t-shirts. You can buy a t-shirt dramatically more cheaply than you can make one, so if you are going to DIY, you need a good reason. Total aversion to goods produced by sweatshop labor, a desire to make more thing that is special in a very specific way, or a burning need to write a sew-n-show blog post that uses the word “upcycle” are all valid, but you have to have a clear goal. Otherwise there’s no reason to take the time required to do it right, and your loved one will have to contemplate facing the world with a warped neckline.

If you must make a t-shirt, you have to get the neckline to lie flat. It goes basically right next to the wearer’s face. Everyone is going to see it. Take your time. Baste in some stay stitching. Press everything. The tissue paper thing looks like a sound option. Once the neckline is done and behaving itself, you can relax.

Knits don’t fray. I like to leave my hems raw for a relaxed, bohemian look.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.