Oliver + S

Sewing multiple outfits, will a serger help?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am trying to figure out a way to have a more streamline sewing process for multiple outfits. My husband is offering to buy me a serger/cover stitch machine for Christmas. The first pair of bed time story pajamas that I made I zigzagged the raw edges and pressed open. I have 3 more pair cut out. This is probably a silly question but can I use a serger to finish raw edges on the bedtime story pajamas separately and press open? or do you only use a serger to finish 2 raw edges together at once and press to the side? I have several hopscotch tops and nature walk pants cut out for my granddaughter too.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

A serger will almost certainly make your sewing go more quickly. I use one to finish seam allowances, and I finish them separately after pressing them open. It’s much faster than zigzagging with a sewing machine. Just remember that a serger can also trim as it finishes, so you’ll probably want to practice a bit before using it. I like to finish the seam allowances without trimming, which just means that you need to feed the fabric through the machine so the cut edge doesn’t get trimmed by the knife.

It takes a little practice and patience to thread a serger, so take that into consideration when you’re deciding to buy. I leave either white or light grey thread in the machine so I’m not always changing it to match what I’m sewing, and I also have black thread on hand but don’t use it much because the re-threading is a bit tricky.

I would suggest that you avoid getting a combination serger-coverstitch machine and focus on getting a good serger with 3- and 4-thread options. While the coverstitch option is a nice idea, it’s very complicated and time-consuming to convert from serger to coverstitch. And the cost of the combined machine is much higher than just the serger.

If at some point you want to invest in a coverstitch machine, it’s much more convenient to purchase a separate machine than to have the combined machine, and it costs almost the same amount to purchase the two machines separately than to have the one combined machine.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

As someone who owns an overlocker/coverstitch I completely agree with Liesl.

Its was very expensive , it does take time to swap threads and re-tension and from further research I could have purchased the two machines for similar money.

My husband bought it for me and being a farmer , just asked for the most powerful machine! He did not but it for the cover stitch function.

I am now researching cover stitch machines !

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

This might be off-topic:

I hate re-threading my serger so what I do is I cut the thread by the spool (one thread at a time -learned that the hard way) and tie on the new thread I’m going to use. Just a double knot.

Then I put a piece of scrap fabric in the machine and slowly sew across it so that the new thread is fed through the machine. Sometimes the little knot gets stuck by the last hole but then I just have the one place to thread it and I don’t have to start over completely.

Once one of the spools is exchanged I do the others in turn. Easy peasy.

I have no opinions about the cover-stitch other than that “I want one” 😉 But a regular serger speeds things up a lot when sewing. Highly recommended.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am bumping this one up too for serger questions

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Thanks for bumping these up! I love this place!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.