Oliver + S

Sewing in knit fabric

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Aussie Gal @Aussie

Hello, I am an Aussie gal (a nickname given to me by a Texan whilst I was living in Houston) now living back home in SA. You have all been very helpful in regards to various questions raised with so many of the lovely O+S patterns, so I thought that I would venture in and ask one. I am newish to sewing with knits and have slowly been testing the waters, in being able to sew these shorts in a knit would I go with my daughter’s size as for a woven fabric or downsize due to the ‘stretch’ factor of a knit? Cheers D

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Hi D, it depends on how stretchy the knit is! If it’s quite stable (like ponti de roma or similar) I’d use the normal size. If it’s a very stretchy knit, maybe downsize.

Welcome to here! There’s a thread for introducing yourself if you’d like to do that. There are lots of Aussies here. I’m in Canberra, but moving to DC at the end of the year.

LINK
    Aussie Gal @Aussie

Hi jay_1965vw, thank you for your reply. The fabric is a lovely organic cotton jersey with a little movement, but nothing like a fabric that would elastase in it. I am sure that isn’t much more help in describing the fabric.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

You could look at the measurement chart to see how much difference there is. Or just make the usual size and if they are too big then they will fit at some time in the future…

Does anyone else have any better ideas?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I wouldn’t size down, if they are too big, size down next time.

Welcome to you!

LINK
    Aussie Gal @Aussie

Thank you ladies for your help, I’ll have a go at her normal size. I go by the motto ‘sink or swim’ at times, so this might as well be one of those times!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.