Oliver + S

Sewing for crawling babies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Erin @vtmomma

What are your thoughts on sewing for a crawling baby? I had planned to make my first dress (Music Box Jumper) and then realized that crawling and dresses might not jive. Should I just wait or make a very short dress, Polly Flinders style? Would shortening the pattern be hard or make it wonky? Perhaps I should just pick a different outfit?

Thank you for your insight!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, I remember that stage! If the dress is for photos, then of course make what you like, but for everyday wear, even a tunic length that’s loose will hang down and catch on her knees. Pants or bloomers and slimmer tops are a better bet for an active baby.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

The Ice Cream top is lovely for crawling babies. I really didn’t ever do dresses until she was walking.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Hi Erin, I started my oliver + s sewing with a 3 month old and started with the school photo dress, which actually was fine when she started crawling as it is quite fitted and she is long so it never caught. It was the same with the hopscotch dress and the seashore sundress, that was fine. The bigger problem I encountered was that she put anything with collars in her mouth!

She had an ice cream dress while crawling which was great, though I recommend making an adaptation to increased the head hold size if your toddler has an ample head!

I found that the less fabric below the waist the easier, i.e. it could be a dress to the knee-sh, but not if it was wide and blousey, as that caught. A narrower dress like the school photo was fine.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Adorable bloomers and bubbles! Yes, any kind of dress or tunic totally gets in the way.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Leggings to protect baby knees! And keep the dresses for those times when she won’t be crawling – ie shopping trips.

I love the very short dresses and bloomers with chubby baby legs – so cute!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I found dresses just bunched up above the waist, it never bothered any of my babies.
    Perhaps make one and see how you go. 🙂

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

@vtmomma – Erin, if you have your heart set on making the Music Box, then make it

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

My babies wore lots of these for every day wear…
    http://childrenscornerinc.com/wp/shop/babies/254-taylor/

And, lots of bloomers and diaper shirt/short dress type things.

For longer dresses, we always had matching bloomers. Once they are down and crawling around you can bunch up the end of the dress and tuck it in the bloomers in the back. Does that make sense?

Good luck! Babies are so fun to sew for!

LINK
    Erin @vtmomma

Wow, you guys are amazing! Thank you so much for the ideas. This is possibly the nicest forum on the web.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Erin.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.