Oliver + S

Sewing a swim suit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Has anyone sewn a swimsuit for their child? My teen daughter has had no luck finding a suit she’s willing to wear. I’m considering making her one. I have no experience sewing jersey or knit materials though, but it seems worth a try. At least, perhaps I could modify something.

Any tips?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have made a couple of swimmers as my daughters are very petite.

I advise lots of fitting as you sew.

Check out this lovely girls blog http://siestasandsewing.blogspot.com.au she makes so many for her children and they look fab!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Nicole you are too kind!

miss-sonja-It’s definitely do-able! I had the hardest time until recently finding swimsuits to fit my oldest daughter. She is very tall but also lean so kid swimsuits that were long enough were baggy and adult ones were too big as she didn’t have the necessary curves to fill them out. What kind of swimsuit is your daughter looking for? Jalie patterns are supposedly really good and are sized from little girl to womens. I haven’t sewn a swimsuit pattern from them yet but I have used an underwear pattern and I liked the fit. I’ve used both Kwik Sew and Ottobre Design patterns. The Kwik Sew ones do a good job explaining how to construct the swimsuit. Here’s the link with only the swimsuit posts from my blog: http://siestasandsewing.blogspot.com/search?q=swimsuit&max-results=20&by-date=false

Also, I found this blog really helpful when I was first started sewing swimsuits: http://creativechicksatplay.blogspot.com/2009/04/sew-your-own-swimsuit.html

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I’m happy to help!

Cindy

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’ve been thinking that it might be time for us to do a swimsuit pattern. Yes?

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

YES!!

LINK
    Elizabeth @Ekmcnally

I agree! Yes, please!!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Thumbs up!

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

You know, board shorts for both girls & boys would be a great pattern to have. Board shorts are great for bike riding in a suit, and also for keeping sand out of sensitive places! I love mix and match suits, I usually collect a rash guard, tankini, board shorts, and swim skirt as a mix and match set.

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I’m with mkhs – I love the idea of a mix & match pattern! Perhaps like the sleepover pj’s – unisex but with some optional finishes to make them more feminine for little girls šŸ˜‰

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

YES please Liesl. Swimwear is virgin territory for me and I want my first time to be with you! šŸ™‚

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh my goodness yes! Boys, girls, women’s (maybe including maternity alterations?) and mens please! And swim shorts please! I have fabric ready to go!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Yes please! I love the idea of at least a Tankini as it’s much easier for toileting šŸ™‚ And women’s too please šŸ™‚

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Tankini! Coverage yet toileting ability. A board short with 2 length options and an over laying skirt option. Tankini with a peplum option and a rash guard shirt! Protect that tender baby skin! Oh that soft sweet skin with that creamy (cow cream, caramel, coffee, ebony— any creamy color) smooth color untouched by sun.

Sigh– baby skin. Now I need to pester my friend and her newborn for a snuggle.

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Wow, awesome replies! Cindy, your suits are so cute and they look like they fit very well. I’ll take a look at those patterns. My girl talks about a one piece or a bandeau-style top (but with shoulder straps, not strapless). I’d love to make some cute swim shorts for my little guy too.

thanks!

LINK
    housecall @housecall

Liesl, yes to a swimsuit pattern!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.