Oliver + S

serging and seams

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    corlee @corlee

often times, the o+s patterns ask that you press a seam open. if you’re using a serger, what do you do? do you finish each fabric edge separately and then press it open? when i look at ready to wear clothes, though, about 9.9 times out of 10 i see that the fabric edges are serged together – so they aren’t pressed open. in which case, if you do serge the fabrics together, do you just press it to one side?

at the moment, i’m sewing the seams with my regular machine and zig zagging each edge separately. i’m still not confident enough to sew and serge the seams in one fell go on the serger as it’s hard to unpick those stitches.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

For seams that need to be pressed open, I usually serge (finish/neaten) the edges before sewing the seam on the regular machine. Seams for things like facings and waistbands I press open because it is less bulky. Also on seams that are going be “inside” a lining, so it doesn’t create a bump. Otherwise, I usually serge them together regardless of the instructions just because it’s faster. I’m thinking shoulder or side seams on an unlined dress for example.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have a tendency to sew and then serge all my seams together or more commonly before I began sewing Oliver and S I wouldn’t even sew the seams together first I would just serge them. I do agree that a serged seam can be a right pain to unpick!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you check out one of my tutorials on my blog(just click on my name)it will give you a general idea of when I press open and when I serge.

Only if you would like too….

~Nicole~

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

He he,that opens on a Figgy’s post(whoops) have a peek here if you like http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/ice-cream-with-some-body.html

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I’m super nerdy and I like to read (or at least skim) through the instructions before I sew. Sometimes I make a note here or there where it seems like serging the fabric before assembly might be helpful. Most of the time, however, I sew and serge the seam allowance together.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I do the same as Karen, making mental notes during my read throughs. And I’ve learned from paying attention to Nicole that sometimes it’s simpler to neaten some seams before sewing them. I’ve really learned so much from this group in the 3 years I’ve been sewing.

LINK
    corlee @corlee

so, when you serge edges together, do you press them to one side? not press at all?

and a more generic question: when i sew and serge a seam at one go, and i’ve only really tried this on wovens so far, the seams seem loose. it looks like a ladder. now, if i want to use it for knits, will it be ok? i know… i should just go and try but i’m sitting here and typing in a stream of consciousness right now… 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

You must press to get a good finish,it sets the seam so to speak.

I press to one side and will often alternate direction to avoid bulk where two seam will meet. My Sail Boat trouser tute shows that step.

The ladder effect for knits is just what you want,it gives the seam ease.

For wovens,I didn’t like that,so I would sew on my standard machine first and the over lock or topstitch the seam to make it more sturdy.

Hope that helps,just my opinion.

~Nicole~

LINK
    corlee @corlee

thanks, nicole! that makes me feel easier. i bought the hopscotch pattern and some interlock so i’ll have to experiment then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.